Is being good at programming necessary for comp sci major?

In summary: I advise looking into computer science research areas first, and then looking into what courses you'll need to take in order to pursue that research area.In summary, computer science researchers do things like study the algorithmic complexity of problems, cryptography, and programming.
Frion
I used to think that computer science was all coding and making software. That displeased me greatly since I'm not the greatest at coding. Certainly not one of those people who started at 10 or even 16. It's not that I'm fundamentally bad at it, but I just tend to dislike it. Yet I am drawn to some aspects of compute science like the BigO stuff. I think I'd be perfectly alright with an advanced course about the algorithmic complexity since it seems fun. I also do like coding when it's to construct a date structure from others, like a binary tree from linkedlists and in general I'm still at the point where finding a cool way to do something recursively makes me happy inside. I'm also reading a book on cryptography right now and I like the stuff... But I hate the stuff the involves coding a program to output a company's payroll statistics or anything involving GUIs. So in short, I really like the parts of computer science that are sort of math-related but I hate the parts that are practical. Should I just stick with math and go down some path involving that stuff or could I major in comp sci despite not being the best progammer?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's quite possible to be a really good computer science researcher and be a horrible programmer

What do computer science researchers do?

I think that sticking with computer science would be fine. There seems to be a much larger division between software engineering/information systems and computer science. Computer science tending towards the applied math/discrete math side of things.

Best thing to do is look at some modules/research areas and see what interests you - are they in computer science departments or applied math?

You need to look carefully at the required courses for a CS major at your college (or intended college). Some so-called CS majors are nothing but programming - worse, they are all about programming languages. You learn N languages, and you're out the door.

I think this is regrettable, and is fortunately less common than it was, but you still need to be aware of this.

1. Is being good at programming necessary to be successful in a computer science major?

Yes, being proficient in programming is essential for a computer science major. Computer science is a highly technical and hands-on field, and programming is the primary tool used to design, develop, and analyze solutions to complex problems.

2. Can I be a computer science major if I don't have any prior programming experience?

While prior programming experience can be beneficial, it is not necessary to be a computer science major. Many universities offer introductory programming courses for students who have no prior experience. With dedication and practice, anyone can become proficient in programming.

3. Do I need to be a math genius to excel in computer science?

While having a good understanding of math concepts can be helpful, being a math genius is not a requirement for success in computer science. Computer science involves a combination of logic, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills, which can be developed through practice and experience.

4. What programming languages should I learn if I want to be a computer science major?

The specific programming languages you will need to learn may vary depending on your university's curriculum. However, some common languages used in computer science include Java, Python, C++, and JavaScript. It's important to have a strong foundation in at least one programming language, as the skills and concepts learned can be applied to other languages as well.

5. Can I succeed in a computer science major if I struggle with coding?

While coding may be challenging for some students, it is not the only aspect of computer science. There are many other areas within the field, such as data analysis, cybersecurity, and computer hardware, where individuals can excel without being proficient in coding. However, it is important to continue practicing and seeking help to improve coding skills, as it is a crucial aspect of computer science.