How do I find the closest point on a curve to (1,1)?

In summary, the problem is finding the point on the curve y = cos(x) closest to the point (1,1). To solve this, the distance formula and the tangent line equation are used. After setting up the equations, the derivative is taken and set to zero to find the critical points. There may be some confusion with the use of trigonometry, but the derivative of cos^2(x) is actually -2cos(x)sin(x) by the chain rule. The process can also be simplified by working with the square of the distance instead of the distance itself.
Knight226

Homework Statement

Find the point on the curve y = cos (x) closest to the point (1,1)

Homework Equations

Tangent line equation
y = f'(c)(x-c)+f(c)

Distance formula
d = SQRT( (x1-x2)^2 + (y1-y2)^2 )

The Attempt at a Solution

I have problem doing the f'(c) part. I get stuck when I have trigonometry in the equation where I have to set it to zero to find the critical number...

So far I have
d = SQRT( (x-1)^2 + (y-1)^2 )
y = cos (x)
d = SQRT( (x-1)^2 + (cos(x)-1)^2 )
*Here according to my textbook, what matter is what is inside radical sign*
f(x) = (x-1)^2 + (cos(x)-1)^2
f(x) = x^2-2x+2+cos^2x-2cosx

f'(x) = 2x - 2 - sin2x + 2sinx

Set f'(x) to zero
2x - 2 - sin2x + 2sinx = 0

Get stuck here :(
let say I do...
-sin2x + 2sinx = -2x + 2
then.. I don't know what to do next... I am horrible with trigonometry... Please help. Thank you very much in advance. Please let me know if I have made mistakes somewhere along the calculation.

Physics news on Phys.org

The derivative of cos^2(x) is not -sin(2x), it's -2cos(x)sin(x) by the chain rule.

Understood. Thank you! :D

It's simpler if you work with the square of the distance, and minimize it. After all, if the square of the distance is minimized, then the distance will also be minimized.

D2(x) = (x - 1)2 + (cos(x) - 1)2
d/dx[D2(x)] = 2(x - 1) + 2(cos(x) - 1)*(-sin(x))

Now set this derivative to 0 and find the critical points.

Isn't 2cos(x)sin(x) equal to sin(2x) by some trig identity?

So I don't see what Matterwave finds false...

Char. Limit said:
Isn't 2cos(x)sin(x) equal to sin(2x) by some trig identity?

So I don't see what Matterwave finds false...
Nor do I. The identity you cited is the double angle formula for sin.

Ok, I have a tendency to assume that if two people's facts differ, and I'm one of the people, the fault lies in my facts. Thanks for clearing that up.

1. What is the concept of finding the point on a curve that is closest to a given point?

Finding the point on a curve that is closest to a given point involves finding the shortest distance between the given point and points on the curve. This is also known as the point of tangency.

2. What is the significance of finding the point on a curve that is closest to a given point?

It is useful in many applications, such as optimization problems in mathematics, finding the best fit line in statistics, and determining the shortest distance between two objects in physics.

3. How do you mathematically approach finding the point on a curve that is closest to a given point?

This can be solved using the concept of derivatives and setting the derivative of the curve equal to the derivative of the line connecting the given point and the point on the curve. This results in an equation that can be solved to find the point of tangency.

4. Can this concept be extended to finding the point on a surface that is closest to a given point?

Yes, this concept can be extended to finding the point on a surface that is closest to a given point. In this case, the distance between the given point and points on the surface is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the point on a curve that is closest to a given point?

Yes, this method may not always result in the exact point of tangency. In some cases, it may only give an approximation of the closest point on the curve to the given point. Additionally, it may not be applicable to curves or surfaces that are not differentiable.