Calculating Force on Particle Using Maxwell Stress Tensor

The Expert SummarizerIn summary, to find the net force on a particle with charge q in a static, homogeneous electric field, you can use the surface integral formula given by F[i] = Int (T[ij] S[i]). To apply this approach to a non-homogeneous and time-dependent external magnetic field, you will need to use the full Maxwell Stress Tensor, which includes contributions from both the electric and magnetic fields. This involves breaking up the electric field into its vector components and summing the products of the Maxwell Stress Tensor components and the surface normal components over the surface of the sphere. The key is to ensure that all necessary components are included in the calculations.
the keck
Consider a particle with charge q in an static, homogeneous electric field. Using the fact that the net force on the particle in the surface integral of the Maxwell Stress Tensor, and assuming the surface is a sphere around this particle:

a) Find the net force on the particle (This part I can do)

b) Show that this approach can be applied even if the external magnetic field is not homogeneous and time dependent.

F = Int (T[ij] S)

I am not really how to go about doing the second part. Do I break up the electric field into its vector components?

Thanks

Regards,
The Keck

Physics news on Phys.org
Science Team

Dear Keck Science Team,

Thank you for this interesting question. Yes, you are correct in thinking that you will need to break up the electric field into its vector components. To show that this approach can be applied even if the external magnetic field is not homogeneous and time dependent, you will need to use the full Maxwell Stress Tensor, which includes the contributions from both the electric and magnetic fields.

To do this, you will first need to write out the full Maxwell Stress Tensor, which has 9 components. Then, you can use the surface integral formula given in the forum post to calculate the net force on the particle. This integral will involve summing the products of the Maxwell Stress Tensor components and the surface normal components over the surface of the sphere.

Since the Maxwell Stress Tensor takes into account both the electric and magnetic fields, this approach can be applied even if the external magnetic field is not homogeneous and time dependent. The key is to make sure that you include all the necessary components in your calculations.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the Maxwell Stress Tensor?

The Maxwell Stress Tensor is a mathematical concept used in electromagnetism to describe the force exerted by electric and magnetic fields on a charged particle. It is a 3x3 matrix that represents the stress (force per unit area) on a specific point in space due to the presence of an electromagnetic field.

2. How is the Maxwell Stress Tensor calculated?

The Maxwell Stress Tensor is calculated by taking the cross product of the electric and magnetic fields at a particular point in space. This results in a vector, which is then multiplied by the permittivity and permeability of the medium in which the fields exist. This process is repeated for each point in space, resulting in a 3x3 matrix.

3. What is the significance of the Maxwell Stress Tensor?

The Maxwell Stress Tensor allows us to understand and predict the forces that electric and magnetic fields exert on charged particles. It is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and is essential in many applications, such as designing electronic devices and understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

4. How is the Maxwell Stress Tensor used in particle dynamics?

The Maxwell Stress Tensor is used in particle dynamics to calculate the force on a charged particle due to an electromagnetic field. This force can then be used to determine the trajectory and behavior of the particle in the field. It is also used in the study of plasma physics, where charged particles interact with strong electromagnetic fields.

5. Can the Maxwell Stress Tensor be applied to any type of electromagnetic field?

Yes, the Maxwell Stress Tensor can be applied to any type of electromagnetic field, including time-varying and non-uniform fields. It is a universal concept that can be used to analyze the forces on charged particles in a wide range of applications, from electronics to astrophysics.