How Far Must a Diver Stand on a Diving Board to Exert a Torque of 1110 m*N?

In summary: So, to summarize, in order to solve for distance on the diving board, you need to use the equation T = M*g*D, where M is the mass of the diver, g is the gravitational force, and T is the torque of 1110 m* N. You solve for D by substituting in the known values and isolating D. In summary, to solve for the distance on the diving board, use the equation T = M*g*D and substitute in the known values to isolate and find the distance D.
Naldo6
How far out on the diving board (see figure below) would a 58.6 kg diver have to be to exert a torque of 1110 m* N on the board, relative to the left support post?

Physics news on Phys.org
Naldo6 said:
How far out on the diving board (see figure below) would a 58.6 kg diver have to be to exert a torque of 1110 m* N on the board, relative to the left support post?

What is torque?

T = m*g*d

and what i do with that?... explian me how to solve it

Try drawing a picture and writing all the facts you know on it. If you do that - and you know what (the definition of) torque is - you will be able to solve the problem yourself.

If you don't know what torque is, have a look in your textbook.

ok... i have did it... but if you know how to solve it... can you do it for me?...

Naldo6 said:
ok... i have did it... but if you know how to solve it... can you do it for me?...

No. Those are the forum guidelines.

i jave to find out what is torque and put in the equation, then susbtite the mass and g is 9.8 and find the d in the equation?...

Naldo6 said:
i jave to find out what is torque and put in the equation, then susbtite the mass and g is 9.8 and find the d in the equation?...

What are you missing that is not given in the problem statement?

T= M*g*D

i am just missing the Distance...i susbtitue allother quantities and then find out what does distance is with that formula?...

Naldo6 said:
T= M*g*D

i am just missing the Distance...i susbtitue allother quantities and then find out what does distance is with that formula?...

Sounds like that should do it.

1. How does a diving board work?

A diving board works by utilizing the principle of torque, which is the rotational force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. When a person jumps on the diving board, their weight creates a force that causes the board to bend downwards. This bending creates a torque force that propels the person upwards and into the air.

2. How does the length of a diving board affect the torque?

The length of a diving board affects the torque by changing the distance between the force (the weight of the person) and the axis of rotation (the fulcrum of the diving board). The longer the diving board, the greater the distance and therefore the greater the torque. This means a longer diving board will provide a greater jump height compared to a shorter diving board.

3. What is the role of the fulcrum in a diving board?

The fulcrum, or the point of support on a diving board, is crucial for the board to function properly. It acts as the axis of rotation and allows the board to bend and create the torque force that propels the person into the air. A stable and properly placed fulcrum is essential for a safe and effective dive.

4. How does the weight of the person affect the torque on a diving board?

The weight of the person jumping on the diving board affects the torque by providing the force that bends the board. The greater the weight, the greater the force and therefore the greater the torque. This is why heavier individuals may be able to jump higher on a diving board compared to lighter individuals.

5. Can the angle of the diving board affect the torque?

Yes, the angle of the diving board can affect the torque by changing the direction of the force and the distance between the force and the fulcrum. A steeper angle will result in a greater upward force and therefore a greater torque, while a shallow angle will result in a smaller upward force and a smaller torque. This is why diving boards are designed with a specific angle for optimal performance.