Force needed to stop rotating drum

In summary, we are trying to find the force (in N) applied by a hydraulic cylinder to stop a rotating drum in 75 revs. The drum has a moment of inertia of 20 kg-m2 and a friction coefficient of 0.40. The initial drum speed is 252 RPM. Using the equations for kinetic energy and work, we can set the work done by the friction force equal to the initial kinetic energy of the drum and solve for the force. The result is 2.367 N, which is the force applied by the hydraulic cylinder to stop the drum.
Eddie91

Homework Statement

A rotating drum is stopped by a brake actuated by a hydraulic cylinder as shown. The moment of inertia for the drum is Io=20 kg-m2. The friction coefficient between the brake shoe and the drum is 0.40. The dimensions are as given in millimeters. Find the force (in N) applied by the hydraulic cylinder to stop the drum in 75 revs if the initial drum speed, omega1, is as given below.

Hint: Io is the moment of inertia for the drum. The initial rotational kinetic energy of the drum is 0.5Ioomega2. The rotation will stop when the work of the friction force (Work=Force x distance) is equal to this kinetic energy.

omega1[RPM] = 252;

http://www.mech.uq.edu.au/courses/engg1010/q/brake.jpg

Homework Equations

KE = 10*omega^2 (given)
Distance = Circumference * Revolutions
Ff = uN

and finally KE = Ff*d

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to get this question right.

KE = 10*omega^2 (given)
distance = circumference * revolutions = 37.5pi
Ff = uN = 0.4*N

and if Ff*d = KE, then:
0.4 * N * 37.5pi = 10*omega^2
N = 0.21220659*omega^2

Then your mechanical advantage should end up being 3 if my maths is correct, so the answer should equal N/3.

However, I keep being told I'm way off, is there something I'm missing?

Cheers,

Eddie

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Eddie,

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are on the right track, but there are a few things that need to be clarified. First, the initial rotational kinetic energy of the drum is given by 0.5*I*omega^2, where I is the moment of inertia and omega is the angular velocity in radians per second. So, using the given values, we have:

KE = 0.5*20*(252*2*pi/60)^2 = 662.5 J

Next, the work done by the friction force is equal to the force times the distance it acts over. In this case, the distance is given by the circumference of the drum times the number of revolutions, so:

Work = F*d = F*(37.5*pi*75) = 279.6F

Setting these two equal to each other, we have:

662.5 = 279.6F

Solving for F, we get:

F = 2.367 N

Now, this is the force applied by the friction force on the drum. The force applied by the hydraulic cylinder will be equal and opposite to this, so the force applied by the cylinder will also be 2.367 N.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the force needed to stop a rotating drum?

The force needed to stop a rotating drum depends on several factors including the mass of the drum, its angular velocity, and the friction present in the system. It can be calculated using the formula F = I * ω/t, where F is the force, I is the moment of inertia of the drum, ω is the angular velocity, and t is the time taken to stop the drum.

2. How does the mass of the drum affect the force needed to stop it?

The mass of the drum directly affects the force needed to stop it. A heavier drum will require a greater force to stop it due to its greater inertia. This means that it will take more energy to change its state of motion from rotating to stationary.

3. What is the role of friction in determining the force needed to stop a rotating drum?

Friction plays a crucial role in determining the force needed to stop a rotating drum. Friction acts in the opposite direction to the motion of the drum, which means it resists the change in motion and requires additional force to overcome. The higher the friction present in the system, the greater the force needed to stop the drum.

4. Does the angular velocity of the drum affect the force needed to stop it?

Yes, the angular velocity of the drum does affect the force needed to stop it. The higher the angular velocity, the greater the force needed to stop the drum. This is because a higher angular velocity means the drum is rotating faster, and it will require more force to overcome this motion and bring it to a stop.

5. How can the force needed to stop a rotating drum be reduced?

The force needed to stop a rotating drum can be reduced by decreasing the mass of the drum, reducing the friction in the system, or decreasing the angular velocity. Additionally, using a braking mechanism, such as applying a force in the opposite direction to the rotation of the drum, can also help reduce the force needed to stop it.