Free body diagram of a truncated cone?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between the forces acting on a truncated cone in a hole and an ordinary block sliding down a wedge. The normal forces on each side of the cone are affected by the normal forces on the other side, and the frictional forces that occur when the cone is turned or pressed down into the hole are also discussed. The participants also debate the correct free body diagram for a truncated cone in a hole and the effects of twisting on the resulting friction force.
kronoskar
Hi,
I have a question about basic statics.

I have heard from someone that the forces acting on a truncated cone in a hole of corresponding geometry is different from an ordinary block sliding down a wedge, since the normal force on one side of the cone will be affected by the normal force on the other side. I've had some difficulties concerning this when trying to figure out the frictional forces occurring when the cone is turned/screwed/pressed downards into the hole. I've attached a jpg showing a truncated cone wedged into a hole of a corresponding geometry (drawing in 2D but problem probably to be solved in 3D), the cone is symmetrical.

That is, will the normal force on each side of the cone be larger than each of the horisontal force (for example mg)?

For block sliding down a wedge, the relation between the normal force and the horisontal force is something like this:

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo31/tanzl/freebodydiagram1.jpg

Would gladly appreciate the help!

Brgd

Oskar

Attachments

• conical wedge.JPG
    conical wedge.JPG
    4 KB · Views: 605
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Not sure I understand you - the normal forces around the cone have to sum to the weight like, um, normal.

Last edited:
If the cone is symmetrical about it's vertical axis, the normal force on each side will be the same. By normal force, i mean the reaction force of the surfaces of the hole on the cone which are perpendicular to the surface.

Thanks for your replies Simon and Ritz physics!
I will try to be more precise, which of the two diagrams are correct, the one to the right or the one to the left? The diagrams show the reaction force of the surface of the hole on ONE of the sides, but of course (in 2D) there would be a similar diagram for the other side).

Oskar

Attachments

• free_body_diag.JPG
    free_body_diag.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 695
Draw both components of the weight, not just the normal, and you'll see ;)

The weight equals the normal force plus the tangential force.

What you are doing is putting x-y axis on the slope, so that the x-axis points along the slope and the y-axis is normal to the slope; then resolving the weight force into components.

Simon: So you mean the picture to the right is correct?
Cuz, if so the truncated cone would be the same as for a wedge (as one could believe), I felt this what a kind of "dummy question" since the weight always equl the normal force plus the tangential force (and not that the normal force equals the weight plus the tangential force). But an person with many years in the field claimed that the free body diagram to left would be true for a truncated cone in a hole. I never got a proper explanation to why so I thought that maybe I had miss out some of the fact (like in 3D, that the oppposite sides are "pressing" the truncated cone inwards and affects the normal force to be bigger). Would the result look different if the truncated cone is turned/twisted inside the hole? I.e. would the resulting friction force result in another normal force?

Technically the weight exerts a pressure over the entire area.

But you can picture it as a wedge between two supports.

Twisting without pushing down just slides the cone in it's hole - this motion would be opposed by the friction which will be given by the normal force times a coefficient and act tangentially to the surface.

1. What is a free body diagram of a truncated cone?

A free body diagram of a truncated cone is a visual representation that shows all the external forces acting on the truncated cone. It helps to understand the overall behavior and motion of the cone.

2. How do you draw a free body diagram of a truncated cone?

To draw a free body diagram of a truncated cone, start by drawing a horizontal line representing the base of the cone. Then, draw a vertical line from the center of the base to the apex of the cone. Next, draw all the external forces acting on the cone, such as gravity, normal force, and any other external forces.

3. What are the important points to consider when drawing a free body diagram of a truncated cone?

When drawing a free body diagram of a truncated cone, it is important to consider the direction and magnitude of the external forces, the location of the forces, and the pivot point of the cone. It is also important to label all the forces and their corresponding values.

4. Why is a free body diagram of a truncated cone important?

A free body diagram of a truncated cone is important because it helps to understand the forces acting on the cone and their effect on its motion. It is also a useful tool for solving problems related to the dynamics of the cone, such as determining its acceleration and net force.

5. Can a free body diagram of a truncated cone be used for other shapes?

Yes, a free body diagram of a truncated cone can be used for other shapes as well, such as cylinders, spheres, and pyramids. The same principles of drawing a free body diagram apply, and it can be a helpful tool in understanding the forces acting on various objects.