Connect 3.55mm Leads w/o Solder: Male TRS Connector

• Thread starter geoduck
  • Start date
In summary, connecting 3.55mm leads without solder can be achieved by using a male TRS connector. This type of connector allows for a secure and stable connection between two audio devices without the need for soldering. The connector has three terminals for the three different wires in the lead, making it easy to connect and providing a reliable audio connection. This method is especially useful when working with delicate or small wires that may be difficult to solder.
geoduck
I need to connect the leads of a circuit to a male TRS connector (3.55 mm). How would I do this? When I go to the store, all I see are male-male 3.55 mm connectors, which would mean I would have to solder the ends of the circuit to one of the male ends, which seems awkward.

Is there an easier way to do this, preferably without the need for solder? Is there a 3.55 mm connector that is male-to-wires, where you can just attach your three wires to the connector, and then plug the male into whatever device you want which would connect the three wires to the device via the male?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should be able to find in-line male 3.5 mm stereo plugs that allow you to solder some pig-tails on. If you're in the States, you should still be able to get these at Radio Shack. Better place to go would be your local electronics hobby shop, however. I'd put on a little heat shrink (available at the above-mentioned places, or any automotive / hardware supply store) over top of the soldered connection to keep things from shorting out.

I hope I'm not patronizing here, but if you're using a soldering gun or high powered iron, you should buy / borrow a more suitable soldering iron.

MATLABdude said:
You should be able to find in-line male 3.5 mm stereo plugs that allow you to solder some pig-tails on. If you're in the States, you should still be able to get these at Radio Shack. Better place to go would be your local electronics hobby shop, however. I'd put on a little heat shrink (available at the above-mentioned places, or any automotive / hardware supply store) over top of the soldered connection to keep things from shorting out.

I hope I'm not patronizing here, but if you're using a soldering gun or high powered iron, you should buy / borrow a more suitable soldering iron.

Thanks. You're not patronizing - I'm utterly clueless when it comes to electronics (and don't know how to solder or own a soldering iron). I was able to find a solderless plug, one that used screws, but it was a bit more expensive because it was gold-plated. It's here:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103990

Obviously someone who was competent would just buy a cheaper plug and use solder, but because of my deficiencies I was looking for a very specific product.

Thanks.

Related to Connect 3.55mm Leads w/o Solder: Male TRS Connector

1. What is a male TRS connector?

A male TRS (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) connector is a type of audio connector that has three sections: the tip, which carries the left audio signal, the ring, which carries the right audio signal, and the sleeve, which acts as the ground or common connection. It is commonly used for connecting headphones, microphones, and other audio equipment.

2. What is the purpose of connecting 3.55mm leads without solder?

The purpose of connecting 3.55mm leads without solder is to create a temporary or semi-permanent connection between audio devices without the need for a soldering iron. This method is often used for quick and easy connections, but it may not provide as strong or reliable of a connection as soldering.

3. How do I connect 3.55mm leads without solder?

To connect 3.55mm leads without solder, you will need male TRS connectors, a wire stripper, and electrical tape. First, strip the insulation off the ends of the leads, exposing the inner wires. Then, twist the exposed wires together and wrap them tightly with electrical tape. Finally, insert the twisted wires into the appropriate sections (tip, ring, or sleeve) of the male TRS connector and secure them in place with the connector's screws or clamps.

4. What are the advantages of connecting 3.55mm leads without solder?

The main advantage of connecting 3.55mm leads without solder is convenience. It allows for quick and easy connections without the need for specialized tools or skills. It is also a reversible method, meaning the connection can be easily undone if needed. Additionally, it is a good option for those who do not have access to a soldering iron.

5. Are there any drawbacks to connecting 3.55mm leads without solder?

While connecting 3.55mm leads without solder can be convenient, it may not provide as strong of a connection as soldering. This can lead to a weaker or less reliable connection, which may result in audio issues such as static or signal interference. Additionally, the connection may be more prone to coming loose or disconnecting with movement or use.