Using a DC power connector to power PC side panel case fans

In summary, this connector would work if the fan wires are long enough, but is not very practical because it would be difficult to keep the connector attached to the case.
spindrjr
Hello,

I was considering a small project to solve an issue with PC case fans. If you have fans on the removable side panel, the wires to power them is quite a pain to disconnect each time you want to take the panel off. I was wondering if it would be possible to take something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AEIYNVA/?tag=pfamazon01-20

cut it in half, splice the wires with the fan wires, and position the two connector parts such that as the door is closing, they connect, but easily disconnect when you open the door. This solution seemed appealing as it wouldn't require soldering or anything.

So I had a few questions about this idea for you experts:

1. Would this work?
2. Would there be any dangers to the computer electronics if this connector was connected/disconnected while all power was on?
3. Are there any other connector types that might be better suited to this task? There is at least one manufacturer's solution in the market that makes use of battery type spring contacts, but I was not able to find any parts that might allow a layman like myself to splice something together. These connectors I linked obviously have at least a moderate resistance when plugging/unplugging, which it would be ideal to do without, if possible.

Any feedback greatly appreciated! If this is in the wrong place etc. please let me know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well nothing bad happens when you connect or disconnect a low power connector as long as you don't make any short circuits etc.

Quite practically , taking into mind that these connectors shown in the pictures are probably not the most robust ones etc I would just go for a longer wire.If that computer case of yours is not a show computer or something like that I would just go for longer wires , ones which let you take the cover off and place it somewhere next to the computer , that would probably be a thousand times more practical as to trying to put these plastic connectors to the case in such a way that they stay there intact etc.

But the choice is yours.

Rather then trying to mount this just lengthen the wires so you can get the cover open and out of the way when you disconnect easily.

1. What is a DC power connector?

A DC power connector is a type of electrical connector that is used to connect a direct current (DC) power source to an electronic device, such as a PC side panel case fan. It typically has two or three pins and is designed to deliver a specific voltage and current to the device.

2. Can I use a DC power connector to power my PC side panel case fans?

Yes, you can use a DC power connector to power your PC side panel case fans. However, it is important to make sure that the voltage and current of the connector matches the requirements of your fans to avoid any damage.

3. How do I know which DC power connector to use for my PC side panel case fans?

You can determine the appropriate DC power connector for your PC side panel case fans by checking the specifications of the fans or consulting with the manufacturer. The connector should match the required voltage and current of your fans to ensure proper and safe operation.

4. Is it safe to use a DC power connector to power my PC side panel case fans?

As long as the voltage and current of the connector match the requirements of your fans, it is generally safe to use a DC power connector. However, it is always important to exercise caution when working with electricity and to follow proper safety precautions.

5. Can I use a DC power connector from another device to power my PC side panel case fans?

In some cases, you may be able to use a DC power connector from another device to power your PC side panel case fans, as long as the voltage and current are compatible. However, it is generally recommended to use a connector specifically designed for your fans to ensure proper and safe operation.