Is a Hermaphroditic 4-Pin Connector Available for Electrical Connections?

In summary, a connector for a project needs to have four pins with only one wire coming out the other side. The reason this type of connector does not exist is because it does not need to be plugged in both directions.
CWorf
I have been trying, with no luck, to find a genderless keyless power connector for a project I am doing. The connector needs to function similar to a Macbook's magnetic power plug which can function both right side up and upside down. so 4 pins, (2 hot pins in the middle, and 2 ground pins on the either side) with only one pair of wires coming out the other side. Is the reason I can not find anything like this because it doesn't exist? or am I looking in all of the wrong places? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I discovered, following posting this, the need to plug in both directions is not necessary, it just needs to be a hermaphroditic 4 pin connector, an example picture is posted below but the example picture depicts a fiber optic connector, is there something like this out there for electrical connections?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Magsafe power connector is not genderless, but is reversible. You want a non-polarized power connector.
It's not clear what your environment is. Is this an externally exposed, often plugged/unplugged connector?

of course, I forgot to mention that, it is externally exposed, minor water proofing would be ideal, and needs to be able to be unplugged/plugged semi frequently.

actually, I just found a bunch of these, and these would absolutely work for my project if they were electrical plugs and not fiber optic plugs, I guess more importantly than being able to connect both directions would be that ALL plugs in the whole system could be identical and fit with each other in any configuration. completely modular. do you know of anything like this for power? does not have to be bigger than 12 gauge.
http://www.foa-ltd.co.uk/HQM%204%20Channel%20Hermaphroditic%20Fibre%20Optic%20Connector%20White.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if I confused you, my needs are a 4 pin hermaphroditic or genderless connector, disregard the need for it to be plugged in upside down as well as right side up, I thought that was necessary but it is not. the above picture depicts the ideal plug, however i can not find anything like it that is not a fiber optic connector. have you ever seen anything like that for electrical or data connections?

what do you mean by genderless? Those fiber optic connectors are gendered. There is a "pin" and "socket". Each end has 2 pins and 2 sockets. The mag safe is gendered.

try adding "hermaphroditic" to your search

1. What is a "Genderless Power Connector"?

A genderless power connector is a type of electrical connector that does not have a specific male or female end. This means that it can be connected to another genderless connector regardless of polarity or orientation, making it more versatile and user-friendly.

2. How does a genderless power connector work?

A genderless power connector typically uses a contact system that allows for electrical connection between two connectors without the need for a specific male or female end. This can include features such as pins, blades, or sockets that can mate with each other in any direction or orientation.

3. What are the benefits of using a genderless power connector?

There are several benefits to using a genderless power connector. First, it eliminates the need for separate male and female connectors, reducing the number of parts and simplifying the connection process. It also allows for more flexibility in design and reduces the chance of incorrect connections. Additionally, genderless power connectors are more durable and reliable than traditional connectors.

4. What industries or applications commonly use genderless power connectors?

Genderless power connectors are used in a wide range of industries and applications, including consumer electronics, automotive, aerospace, and medical devices. They are particularly useful in applications where space is limited or connections need to be made quickly and easily.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using genderless power connectors?

While genderless power connectors offer many benefits, there are some limitations and drawbacks to consider. These connectors may be more expensive than traditional connectors, and they may not be compatible with all existing equipment. Additionally, some users may find them more difficult to connect due to the lack of a male or female end.