Evaluate ∫F∙dr: Surface Integrals Help

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating a line integral of ∫F∙dr, where F(x,y,z) = (x+y^2)I + (y+z^2)j + (z+x^2)k and the curve is oriented counterclockwise. The integral can be calculated using the expression ∫F∙dr = ∫∫curlF∙dS or ∫∫curlF∙n/|n|ds, where n is the normal vector. The normal vector for the given region is calculated to be <-1,-1,1>, and the integral is evaluated using a double integral with limits 0≤y≤1-x and 0≤
bodensee9
[Can someone help with the following? I am supposed to evaluate the line integral of ∫F∙dr. The curve is oriented counterclockwise as viewed from above. So suppose that F(x,y,z) = (x+y^2)I + (y+z^2)j + (z+x^2)k, and C is the triangle formed by (1,00), (0,1,0), (0,0,1).

I know that the integral ∫F∙dr over some surface S is equal to ∫∫curlF∙dS and is equal to ∫∫curlF∙n/|n|ds or ∫∫curlF∙ndA, where n is the normal vector. So, curl F is -2zi -2xj -2yk. And since the region has the expression x+y+z = 1, so suppose the region z can be written as (x, y, 1-x-y), and the normal vector to this region has the expression <dz/dx, -dz/dy, 1> or <-1,-1,1>. So wouldn’t curl F dot n be 2z+2x-2y, and since z = 1-x-y, curl F n should be 2-2x-2y+2x-2y? So I am supposed to integrate the integral ∫∫2-4y dydx where 0≤y≤1-x and 0≤x≤1? Can someone point out what I’m doing wrong here? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
i can't read all that, but couldn't you just check your work by simply parametrizing the triangle and just doing a one variable integral?

it is especially easy on the vertical and horizontal dies where, on the y-axis side say, both dx and dz are zero.

But I'm supposed to evaluate it using the double integral, so.

The plane equation is, indeed, x+y+z=1.
Hence, the normal vector is parallell to (1,1,1)

Oh I see where I went wrong! Thanks!

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a type of integral in multivariable calculus that involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional surface rather than a one-dimensional curve. It is used to find the total value of a function on a given surface.

2. How is a surface integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral is typically used to find the area under a curve in two-dimensional space. A surface integral, on the other hand, is used to find the value of a function over a two-dimensional surface. It involves integrating over both the x and y coordinates of the surface.

3. What is the notation for a surface integral?

The notation for a surface integral is ∫F∙dr, where F is the function being integrated and dr represents an infinitesimal element of surface area. This notation is similar to the notation for a line integral, but instead of integrating over a curve, we are integrating over a surface.

4. What is the significance of surface integrals in science?

Surface integrals have many applications in science, particularly in physics and engineering. They are used to calculate electric flux, fluid flow, and other important physical quantities. They also play a crucial role in vector calculus and help us understand the behavior of vector fields on surfaces.

5. How do I evaluate a surface integral?

To evaluate a surface integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration, which are typically given by the bounds of the surface. Then, you need to find the equation for the surface and the normal vector at each point. Next, you plug these values into the surface integral formula and solve for the final answer. It can be a complex process, so it is important to practice and understand the underlying concepts.