How Does Friction Affect the Transition from Sliding to Rolling in Bowling?

In summary, the problem involves finding the speed of the center of mass of a bowling ball on an alley with an initial speed and a coefficient of friction. The solution involves writing equations for the ball's translational and rotational motion, taking into account the energy consumed by friction, and finding the speed at which the ball will stop slipping.
Xamfy19
a bowling ball is given an initial speed vo on an alley such that it initially slides without rolling. The coefficient of friction between ball and alley is u.

find the speed of the ball's center of mass vCM at the time pure rolling motion occurs.

i used (1/2)mvo^2=(1/2)mVCM^2 + (1/2)Iw^2
I=(2/5)mr^2

i got vo^2=(7/5)v^2 which is wrong.

how do i solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Xamfy19
i used (1/2)mvo^2=(1/2)mVCM^2 + (1/2)Iw^2
I=(2/5)mr^2
It looks like you are assuming that energy is conserved. Why?

Well, I think the friction must have consumed certain energy too. However, I have no idea how to incorporate it into the equation.

There are several ways to attack this problem. Here's one way:

Picture what's happening. The ball starts with pure translational motion. The friction slows the translational motion, and starts the ball rotating. So write equations for the translational motion and for the rotational motion, due to the friction. The ball will slow down (but increase rotational speed) until the speed is just right to stop slipping.

1. What is bowling ball rotation?

Bowling ball rotation refers to the motion and spin of the ball as it travels down the lane towards the pins. It is an important factor in determining the trajectory and speed of the ball, as well as how it will react when it hits the pins.

2. How is bowling ball rotation measured?

Bowling ball rotation is typically measured in revolutions per minute (RPM). This is the number of times the ball spins around its axis in one minute. It can be measured using a specialized device called a tachometer, or by tracking the movement of the ball with a camera or motion sensor.

3. What is the ideal amount of rotation for a bowling ball?

The ideal amount of rotation for a bowling ball varies depending on the bowler's style and the lane conditions. Generally, a higher rotation rate can help the ball hook more and hit the pins with more force, while a lower rotation rate can result in a straighter shot with less hook. It is important for bowlers to experiment and find the rotation that works best for them.

4. How can I increase my bowling ball rotation?

Increasing ball rotation can be achieved through various techniques, such as adjusting the release angle, using a wrist support, or changing the grip on the ball. Practicing and gaining strength in the wrist and forearm muscles can also help to increase rotation. It is important to work with a coach or experienced bowler to find the best technique for your individual bowling style.

5. Can bowling ball rotation be controlled?

Yes, bowling ball rotation can be controlled to a certain extent by the bowler. By adjusting the release angle and wrist position, a bowler can control the amount of rotation on the ball. However, factors such as lane conditions and the ball's surface also play a role in the rotation of the ball, so it is important to be adaptable and make adjustments as needed during a game.