When Will the Car Catch Up with the Truck?

• Thread starter niyati
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars
In summary, a car with a constant acceleration of 4.85 m/s^2 starts from rest at a traffic light and passes a truck traveling at a constant velocity of 17.2 m/s. The car will eventually overtake the truck when its velocity exceeds the truck's. Using equations for displacement and setting them equal, it is determined that the car will catch up with the truck in approximately 7.1 seconds and the distance from the light will be about 122 meters.
niyati
A car capable of a constant acceleration of 4.85 m/s^2 is stopped at a traffic light. When the light turns green, the car starts from rest with this acceleration. At the very same moment, a truck traveling with constant velocity 17.2 m/s passes the car. As the car's velocity increases, it will eventually move faster than the truck and later overtake it. How far from the light will the car catch up with the truck? Answer in units of m.

I am not really sure how to start this problem, but I do know that the two vehicles have time and distance in common. Since I am finding distance, however, from the stoplight, I first need to find out how much time it took for the car to reach the truck. I don't think I'm suppose to, however, find out how much time it took for the car to reach the truck's velocity, because that does not necessarily mean that the car has caught up with the truck. In fact, the car must exceed the truck's velocity, at some point, in order to catch up with it. I do not think that anything behind the stoplight really matters, save for the acceleration of the car given.

I'm given these equations:

v = u + at

displacement = ut + .5a(t^2)

v^2 = u^2 + 2a(displacement)

Physics news on Phys.org
let t = 0 bet the moment the truck is passing the car... ie the moment they're at the same position...

Write the equation for displacement of the truck in terms of time. It's just going at constant speed.

Write the equation for displacement of the car in terms of time.

Well, I used x = ut + .5a(t^2).

The distance, once the vehicles meet, will be the same, as will the time (assuming that the time started when the car and truck passed the stoplight). So, I can set up the equations and set them equal to one another.

Car:

x = 0(t) + .5(4.85)(t^2)

Truck:

x = 17.2t + .5(0)(t^2)

So:

17.2t = .5(4.85)(t^2)

t = 0 or about 7.1 seconds, which makes sense, as the truck and car are beside each other at the very very beginning and again when the car catches up with the truck. Since the truck, this entire time, has been traveling at a constant velocity, it is a reliable source from which I can find the distance.

x = (17.2)(7.1)
= about 122, or 123, if using the long decimal answer given in the calculator for time.

Correct?

or, sorry, 122 is right. I'm losing it. XDDD

What is overtaking?

Overtaking is the act of passing another vehicle while traveling in the same direction on a road or highway.

Is overtaking dangerous?

Overtaking can be dangerous if not done properly. It requires careful observation of traffic and proper use of signals and speed to ensure safe passing.

What are the main reasons for overtaking?

The main reasons for overtaking are to pass slower moving vehicles, to maintain a consistent speed, and to reach a destination faster.

What are the risks associated with overtaking?

The risks of overtaking include collisions with other vehicles, loss of control, and potential legal consequences if done recklessly or illegally.

What are some tips for safely overtaking cars and trucks?

Some tips for safely overtaking cars and trucks include checking your mirrors and blind spots before attempting to pass, using your turn signals, maintaining a safe speed, and only overtaking when it is legal and safe to do so. It is also important to pay attention to road and weather conditions, as well as the size and speed of the vehicle you are attempting to pass.