Dropping from 4 times the height, how much longer does it take?

• Thread starter Kaldanis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary: We are given a formula sheet but I'm not sure if we'e allowed to add anything to it. I planned on finding that out when we go back. Luckily it gives the equations I have the hardest time remembering or being able to prove to myself.
Kaldanis
We solved this in class 4 months ago but I just can't remember the solution, or even where to start. I remember rearranging an equation. If an object is dropped from a height and it takes T seconds to hit the ground, how long will it take if dropped from four times the height?

Possible answers:

A. T seconds.
B. √2 T seconds.
C. 2T seconds.
D. 2 √2 T seconds.
E. 4T seconds.

Can anyone give me a hint without giving the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
We aren't supposed to help until we see an attempt but just this once I can't resist.
The approach to any problem is to first realize what is going on and write equations that apply to it. In this case, accelerated motion is going on. Can you write equations that apply?

Is it by rearranging s= ut + .5at2?

Kaldanis said:
Is it by rearranging s= ut + .5at2?
Yes, and of course, the initial velocity u is zero.

I keep getting the answer as 2T, is that right? When we did it months ago I'm almost positive it had a root2 in the answer

Kaldanis said:
I keep getting the answer as 2T, is that right? When we did it months ago I'm almost positive it had a root2 in the answer

Sure that's right. If the displacement changes by a factor 4, T changes by a factor of 2. You might be thinking of a different problem.

Dick said:
Sure that's right. If the displacement changes by a factor 4, T changes by a factor of 2. You might be thinking of a different problem.

I must be, that's the only thing that was throwing me off since I first saw the question. I thought I remembered a root2 in there so I was doubting the obvious answer of 2T! Anyway, thank you. :)

Kaldanis said:

Yes, 2T is correct.

When the problem was done earlier, in class, was it exactly the same, or just similar. After all, 2=√4 .

SammyS said:
Yes, 2T is correct.

When the problem was done earlier, in class, was it exactly the same, or just similar. After all, 2=√4 .

That's true, but for some reason √2 was stuck in my head. At least I know now for incase it comes up in the exam in January, because I would have doubted myself and picked one of the √2 answers.

Kaldanis said:
That's true, but for some reason √2 was stuck in my head. At least I know now for incase it comes up in the exam in January, because I would have doubted myself and picked one of the √2 answers.

When you do the exam in January, are you allowed to take in a self-prepared "formula sheet" or page of notes?

PeterO said:
When you do the exam in January, are you allowed to take in a self-prepared "formula sheet" or page of notes?

We are given a formula sheet but I'm not sure if we'e allowed to add anything to it. I planned on finding that out when we go back. Luckily it gives the equations I have the hardest time remembering or being able to prove to myself. I wish we were allowed to take in a page of notes for Algebra... not looking forward to that!

1. How does the height affect the time of the drop?

The height of an object does not affect the time it takes to drop. The time it takes for an object to fall is only dependent on the force of gravity and the initial velocity of the object.

2. What is the formula for calculating the time of a drop from 4 times the height?

The formula for calculating the time of a drop is t = √(2h/g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the height in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

3. Is the time of the drop affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance can affect the time of the drop. The more air resistance an object experiences, the longer it will take to fall.

4. How can I calculate the time of a drop if I know the height and air resistance?

You can use the formula t = √(2h/(g(1-k))), where k is the coefficient of air resistance. This formula takes into account the effect of air resistance on the time of the drop.

5. Does the weight of the object affect the time of the drop?

No, the weight of an object does not affect the time of the drop. The acceleration due to gravity is the same for all objects regardless of their weight.