A good place to read on the evolution of organs

• Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary, the article discusses how different body parts and organs evolve through simple steps, but is having trouble understanding how single cells started working together and how they started to have different functions within the same body.
moe darklight
Hi, (I think I started a thread similar to this earlier) I was wondering if anyone knows of any good websites or books or DVD's that focus on the evolution of organs and organ systems. That is, the point at which a group of cells stopped being a "blob" and started differentiating into organs with separate functions (I'm sure this has a name, but I don't know what it is so I don't know what to look for lol).

thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
moe darklight said:
Hi, (I think I started a thread similar to this earlier) I was wondering if anyone knows of any good websites or books or DVD's that focus on the evolution of organs and organ systems. That is, the point at which a group of cells stopped being a "blob" and started differentiating into organs with separate functions (I'm sure this has a name, but I don't know what it is so I don't know what to look for lol).
Yes, the name of the science that studies how "blobs" of cells become differentiated into first tissues then organs then organ systems is called "embryology", and the specific topic you want to read about is called "morphogenesis"--see this link:
http://www.answers.com/topic/morphogenesis

mor·pho·gen·e·sis (môr'fō-jĕn'ĭ-sĭs) n.
The differentiation of cells and tissues in the early embryo which results in establishing the form and structure of the various organs and parts of the body.

Or, if your interest is in how "organs" and "organ systems" came to be during evolution from simple cells to more complex animals and plants (both have organs), then start with this review:
http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0611/feature4/

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the national geographic article :) . that's along the lines of what was looking for.
I understand how different body parts and organs can evolve through simple steps (eyes, legs, all that), but what I'm having trouble with is how single cells started working together... how did a single celled organism, hundreds of millions of years ago, "decide" to replicate itself many times-- but to have all those cells interact with each other, instead of just floating off alone like its predecessors.
and how did these cells start to have different functions within the same body. ... I mean, all organs and animals with organs must have evolved from some sort of rudimentary organ system -- a group of genetically identical cells that somehow started to perform different functions as one body.

Last edited:

Related to A good place to read on the evolution of organs

1. What is the theory of evolution and how does it apply to organs?

The theory of evolution states that organisms change over time through the process of natural selection, where advantageous traits are more likely to be passed on to future generations. This also applies to organs, as they can evolve to better suit an organism's environment and needs.

2. How do scientists study the evolution of organs?

Scientists study the evolution of organs through comparative anatomy, looking at the similarities and differences in the structure and function of organs across different species. They also use genetics and molecular biology to analyze the genetic basis of organ development and evolution.

3. Can organs evolve to become obsolete?

Yes, organs can evolve to become obsolete if they are no longer needed for survival. This is known as vestigiality, where an organ or structure that was once useful becomes reduced or non-functional over time.

4. Are there any examples of organs that have evolved significantly?

Yes, there are many examples of organs that have evolved significantly. One well-known example is the evolution of the human brain, which has increased in size and complexity over millions of years. Another example is the evolution of the vertebrate eye, which has improved in its ability to detect light and form images.

5. How does the environment impact the evolution of organs?

The environment plays a significant role in the evolution of organs. The selective pressures of the environment can drive changes in organ structure and function, as organisms with advantageous traits are more likely to survive and reproduce. Additionally, changes in the environment can also lead to the evolution of new organs to better adapt to new conditions.