Building a Motor Like the One in the Video

In summary, the conversation discusses the design and functioning of a motor similar to one shown in a YouTube video. The main question is whether the design in the video is the best way to build the motor or if there is a better alternative. The conversation touches on topics such as the use of split rings, the number of magnets needed, and the wiring of the coils and commutators. It is suggested that having two magnets provides twice the force and a more evenly distributed force during the "power stroke." The conversation also mentions the possibility of using three sections on the commutator, similar to the design of old HO scale slot cars. In conclusion, the conversation suggests trying to have the magnets closer to the coils and ensuring that the coils are
Nucular
I'm trying to build a motor like the one in this http://youtube.com/watch?v=h6Ev64h49wg&feature=related".

I can't seem to figure out how the split ring works. From what I can tell, only one solenoid would be powered at a time, but wouldn't that be inefficient? Also if only one is powered, would it be necessary to have 2 permanent magnets?

Maybe I'm missing something (which is very probable).

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Basically my question is should I go ahead with the design in the video, or is there a better way to build this motor than that offered in the video?

(Sorry about the second post, but I can't figure out how to edit my original post)

I'm reasonably sure that just one coil is energized, but I might be wrong. To energize more coils might require another pair of brushes and commutators, which could be cumbersome.

Having two magnets provides twice the force than having one magnet. Also, the force is more evenly distributed during the "power stroke" by having two magnets. With only one magnet, the force would be weaker when the energized coil has rotated farther away from the single magnet.

The split ring seems to be 3 pieces of some kind of sheet metal. Probably sections from a metal tube of some sort, so they are already curved.

I don't know if a better or easier design is out there, give this forum a day or two and see what kind of responses you get here. I think if I built one like in that video, I'd try having the magnets closer to the coils.

Good luck!

Mark

IIRC you only need three sections on the commutator (split ring).
The "start" wire of one coil is hooked to the "end" wire of the next coil and to one of the commutator segments in sequence.
So you need to make sure you wind all the coils in the same direction.
Also the angle at which the brush wires touch the commutator is important.

Anyone remember the old HO scale slot cars with an armature with 3 poles? They also had a 3 section commutator. The ones I recall had a verticle shaft and then gears on a plate out to the back wheels. They were wired as NoTime described. It is entirely possible that some or all of the newer cars that have an armature with a horizontal shaft also have 3 poles.

NoTime said:
The "start" wire of one coil is hooked to the "end" wire of the next coil and to one of the commutator segments in sequence.

I think this was my problem, I had each coil hooking up to 2 of the commutator segments, and not to any of the other coils.

Does it matter which commutator segment I hook it up to?

thanks

I think you can tell in the video which is hooked to which and yes it does matter.

Averagesupernova said:
I think you can tell in the video which is hooked to which and yes it does matter.

Do you think you can enlighten me as to which is hooked to which, as I cannot seem to figure it out.

thanks

Near as I can tell, each coil is directly adjacent to one of the 3 commutators, and is wired to the other two.

Then a coil would be energized when it is near the bottom of the rotation.

russ_watters said:

Thanks for that site russ, brings back a lot of memories. The original cars I had were the magna-traction. They didn't hold the track that well compared to the newer cars. I recall getting newer cars that stuck to the track like glue. You couldn't have a wreck if you tried. We got bored with them and went back to the old magna traction which required some skill to drive. Eventually some of the car bodies got so worn on their mounts that they would rock back and forth on the chassis as the car went down the track. Fun times...

"They didn't hold the track that well compared to the newer cars."

Yes. You could make the fly.

dlgoff said:
"They didn't hold the track that well compared to the newer cars."

Yes. You could make the fly.

And believe me we did!

FAQ: Building a Motor Like the One in the Video

1. How does the motor in the video work?

The motor in the video works by using electricity to create a magnetic field, which interacts with the permanent magnets on the rotor to produce motion. This motion is then transferred to the shaft, causing it to rotate.

2. What materials are needed to build a motor like the one in the video?

To build a motor like the one in the video, you will need a battery or power source, copper wire, a magnet, and a shaft or rotor to attach the magnet to. You will also need tools such as pliers and wire cutters to manipulate the wire.

3. Is it difficult to build a motor like the one in the video?

Building a motor like the one in the video may require some basic knowledge of electricity and wiring, but it is not a very difficult project. With the right materials and instructions, it can be completed by students or hobbyists.

4. What is the purpose of building a motor like the one in the video?

The purpose of building a motor like the one in the video is to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetism and how they can be used to create motion. It can also be a fun and educational project for students to learn about circuits and electricity.

5. Can the motor in the video be used for practical purposes?

The motor in the video is a simple demonstration of how a basic motor works and is not powerful enough for practical use. However, the same principles can be applied to build larger and more powerful motors that are used in many everyday devices such as fans, appliances, and automobiles.