Where can I find a controller for a 3 Phase AC motor?

In summary, the motor has 8 poles and 2 layers of winding. It is AC and can produce up to 100 kW. If somebody can point me in the right direction that would help greatly.
kolleamm
I'm working on a project with a team in building a motor. My task is to find a controller for the motor, but I haven't had much luck.
Here are the specs for it :

Permanent magnet synchronous motor,
3 phase
8 pole
2 layer winding
100 kw power
400V

The motor is AC. If somebody can even point me in the right direction that would help greatly.

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Wow, ambitious project.Good luck.

Why do you need a controller? Variable frequency? Starting?

Likes kolleamm
If you google "variable frequency drive" you'll get a lot of hits...but 100 kW is a big motor and this won't be cheap.

Likes kolleamm
kolleamm said:
If somebody can even point me in the right direction that would help greatly.
Learn about them by searching on keywords in manufacturers' literature.

for example
http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/Products...orsStarters/SoftStartersControllers/index.htm
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/wp/150-wp007_-en-p.pdf
should get you started on distinction between "contactor" "soft start" and "VFD"

kolleamm said:
My task is to find a controller for the motor, but I haven't had much luck.
I guess this is a low budget learning exercise ?
It'd be good experience for you guys to repair one . That'd require you to figure out how they work. They show up on Ebay occasionally
I found recently in my favorite metal recycle yard a brand new Motortronics 150hp reduced voltage soft starter . Looks just like this one but has some damage to a corner of the circuit board from when they tossed it off the truck at junkyard. I think the guys didn't appreciate what it was..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150-HP-MOTORTRONICS-SOFT-START-/271634315964?hash=item3f3eaababc:g:sLUAAOSwajVUOyWU
motortronics1.jpg

Plenty of parts in there for a future welder enhancement project, ...(is "Hot Rod Lincoln" too awful a pun ?)

point being, you don't have to start from absolute scratch.

old jim

Likes kolleamm
Thank you so much for your help everyone! I will tell the project manager what you all have written and hopefully provide more answers to what I require.

What is a 3 Phase AC motor?

A 3 Phase AC motor is a type of electric motor that runs on a three-phase alternating current. It is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings due to its high efficiency and power output.

What is a controller for a 3 Phase AC motor?

A controller for a 3 Phase AC motor is a device that regulates the speed, direction, and torque of the motor. It acts as a power converter, converting the input voltage into the appropriate frequency and voltage for the motor to operate.

Where can I find a controller for a 3 Phase AC motor?

Controllers for 3 Phase AC motors can be found at industrial supply stores, online retailers, and from motor manufacturers. They may also be available through specialized motor control companies.

What factors should I consider when choosing a controller for a 3 Phase AC motor?

When selecting a controller for a 3 Phase AC motor, you should consider the motor's voltage and current ratings, the required speed and torque range, and any specific control features needed for your application. It's also important to ensure that the controller is compatible with your motor and power supply.

What are the different types of controllers available for 3 Phase AC motors?

There are various types of controllers for 3 Phase AC motors, including VFDs (variable frequency drives), soft starters, and servo drives. Each type has its own unique features and benefits, so it's important to research and determine which type best suits your motor and application needs.