Can I adjust R4 and R5 to maintain a 12k input impedance?

In summary, to reduce the resistor network and keep the input and return current equal, one should connect the two ends of the resistors with ground symbols with a wire. This creates a parallel connection with the 12k resistor, which is the input impedance of a receiver IC. To maintain a close impedance to 12k, R4 and R5 can be increased.
likephysics
How do I reduce this resistor network.

The input current and the return current should be equal. But in this case, some current will also flow to ground. Can't get my head around this.

Attachments

• res.JPG
    res.JPG
    5.2 KB · Views: 393
Engineering news on Phys.org
likephysics said:
How do I reduce this resistor network.

The input current and the return current should be equal. But in this case, some current will also flow to ground. Can't get my head around this.

No current flows "to ground" per se. Just connect the two ends of the resistors that have ground symbols with a wire -- that's the only other path for current. No current "leaves" the system the way it's drawn.

So the two grounded resistors are in parallel with the 12k resistor?

likephysics said:
So the two grounded resistors are in parallel with the 12k resistor?

Yep!

The 12K is the input impedance of a receiver IC. I got to increase R4,R5 to keep the impedance close to 12k.

1. What is a reducing resistor network?

A reducing resistor network is a circuit composed of multiple resistors connected in series or parallel in order to reduce the overall resistance of the circuit. This allows for the flow of current to be controlled and distributed evenly throughout the circuit.

2. Why is a reducing resistor network used?

A reducing resistor network is used to reduce the overall resistance in a circuit, which helps to regulate the flow of current and prevent damage to the circuit components. It also allows for the use of smaller, less expensive resistors instead of one large resistor.

3. How is a reducing resistor network calculated?

The total resistance of a reducing resistor network is calculated by adding the individual resistances of each resistor in series or using the appropriate formula for resistors in parallel. The resulting value is the total resistance of the circuit.

4. What is the purpose of using different types of resistors in a reducing resistor network?

Different types of resistors, such as fixed resistors, variable resistors, and thermistors, can be used in a reducing resistor network to control the flow of current in different ways. For example, a variable resistor can be adjusted to change the resistance and therefore, alter the current flow in the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to using a reducing resistor network?

Yes, there are limitations to using a reducing resistor network. One limitation is that the addition of more resistors in series can increase the total resistance, which may not be desirable in some circuits. Additionally, using too many resistors in parallel can cause the circuit to become unstable and potentially malfunction.