Why Is Action Defined as Energy Minus Potential Energy in Physics?

In summary, a forum user is seeking help understanding why the action is E-U and how it relates to Newton's laws of motion. Another user provides a link to a discussion and resources on the topic.
Andrea2
Hi! I'm new of this forum and I'm searching a way to understand why the action is E-U, but in this moment i don't know how to do...ther's someone who can help me? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
It turns out that if you set the Lagrangian to be T-V then you recover Newton's laws of motion.

Andrea2 said:
Hi! I'm new of this forum and I'm searching a way to understand why the action is E-U, but in this moment i don't know how to do...ther's someone who can help me? Thank you

The question is of course: why does T-V recover Newton's laws of motion? As it turns out: that question is not hard to answer.

An abbreviated discussion is in post https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2975435&postcount=10" of the recent thread called 'Lagrangian'.

A more detailed version (more diagrams) is available on my website: http://www.cleonis.nl/physics/phys256/least_action.php" .

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, thank you very much!

Hello and welcome to the forum! The principle of least action is a fundamental principle in physics that states that nature tends to take the path of least resistance or least action. This means that out of all the possible paths that a system could take, it will take the path that minimizes the action, which is a mathematical quantity that represents the total energy of the system.

To understand why the action is equal to the energy minus the potential energy (E-U), we need to look at the mathematical formulation of the principle. The action (S) is defined as the integral of the Lagrangian (L) over time (t):

S = ∫ L dt

The Lagrangian is a function that describes the kinetic and potential energies of a system. It is defined as:

L = T - U

Where T is the kinetic energy and U is the potential energy. The kinetic energy is the energy that a system has due to its motion, while the potential energy is the energy that a system has due to its position in a force field.

When we plug in the definition of the Lagrangian into the equation for action, we get:

S = ∫ (T-U) dt = ∫ T dt - ∫ U dt

The first term in this equation represents the change in kinetic energy over time, and the second term represents the change in potential energy over time. The principle of least action states that the system will take the path that minimizes the total change in energy over time, which is equivalent to minimizing the action. This is why the action is equal to the energy minus the potential energy (E-U).

I hope this helps you understand the principle of least action better. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

1. What is the principle of the least action?

The principle of the least action is a fundamental concept in physics that states that the path a system takes between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action, which is a mathematical function that describes the motion of the system.

2. How is the principle of the least action used in physics?

The principle of the least action is used in physics to describe the motion of a system, such as a particle or a field, based on the least amount of energy required for the system to move from one state to another. It is used in various fields of physics, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and field theory.

3. What is the significance of the principle of the least action?

The principle of the least action is significant because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of physical systems. It allows scientists to make predictions about the motion of a system and has been proven to accurately describe the behavior of many physical phenomena.

4. How is the principle of the least action derived?

The principle of the least action is derived from the principle of stationary action, which states that the variation of the action with respect to the system's path is equal to zero. This leads to the Euler-Lagrange equations, which describe the motion of the system and can be used to derive the principle of the least action.

5. Can the principle of the least action be applied to all physical systems?

The principle of the least action can be applied to most physical systems, but there are some exceptions. For example, it is not applicable to systems that involve quantum tunneling or systems with infinite degrees of freedom. However, it is a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of many physical systems.