Exploring the Mystery of Chlorine's Half-AMU Mass

In summary, the periodic table gives the average amu of elements based on their ratios of isotopes. Chlorine has two major stable isotopes, 35 amu and 37 amu in ratios of ~75.75% and ~24.25% respectively, resulting in an average weight of ~35.5. The effect of binding energies on the apparent weight of an element in bulk may be too small to consider. The mass of electrons is negligible compared to protons and neutrons, with one of the larger known elements, 100 atomic number, only adding 0.04 amu due to electrons.
MrPickle
I was looking at my periodic table in Chemistry today and noticed that Chlorine's relative mass was 35.5, how can it have half an amu when it has 17 electrons? That's not 0.5amu, is it?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The periodic table will give the average amu of the element in bulk from the ratio of isotopes. Chlorine has two major stable isotopes, 35 amu and 37 amu in ratios of ~75.75% and ~24.25% respectively. This gives an average weight of ~35.5.

I'm not entirely certain, but I think binding energies also play a role in the apparent weight of an element in bulk. The effect may be to small to bother considering for most purposes.

fedaykin said:
I'm not entirely certain, but I think binding energies also play a role in the apparent weight of an element in bulk. The effect may be to small to bother considering for most purposes.

Problem is not that the effect is too small, problem is it is masked by the fact that you have already mentiond - all elements are mixtures of isotopes.

I was once confused by the periodic table's amu figures for those small elements. The fact that hydrogen is [tex]\approx 1.008[/tex] made me think the electron was playing the role of that extra amu. As fedaykin said, it has to do with the isotopes (amount of neutrons present) that affects the amu of the element.
As your teacher/professor would've told you, the mass of the electron is so small compared to the proton/neutron, that it can be considered negligible. Somewhere in the range of 1/2500 mass. So one of the larger known elements, say 100 atomic number, those electrons would only add 0.04 amu to the element.

Mentallic said:
Somewhere in the range of 1/2500 mass.

More like 11836.

1. What is the half-AMU mass of chlorine?

The half-AMU mass of chlorine is approximately 35.5 atomic mass units (AMU). This means that a chlorine atom has an average mass of 35.5 times the mass of a hydrogen atom.

2. Why is chlorine's half-AMU mass considered a mystery?

The mystery lies in the fact that the atomic mass of chlorine is not a whole number, as is the case for most elements. Instead, it has a decimal value of 35.5, which is half of a whole number. This raises questions about the nature of chlorine and how it fits into the periodic table.

3. How is the half-AMU mass of chlorine determined?

The half-AMU mass of chlorine is determined through experiments using a mass spectrometer. This instrument measures the mass-to-charge ratio of atoms, allowing scientists to determine the atomic mass of an element.

4. What causes chlorine's half-AMU mass?

The half-AMU mass of chlorine is caused by the presence of two stable isotopes: chlorine-35 and chlorine-37. These isotopes have slightly different masses, with chlorine-35 being more abundant. When the masses of these isotopes are averaged, it results in the half-AMU mass of chlorine.

5. How does chlorine's half-AMU mass affect its chemical properties?

Chlorine's half-AMU mass has a negligible effect on its chemical properties. This is because the difference in mass between the two isotopes is very small, and the chemical reactions of chlorine are largely determined by the number and arrangement of its electrons, rather than its mass.