Finding a Force using the dot product/projection (Calc 3)

In summary, the problem asks for the force required to keep a 600-pound boat from rolling down a 30-degree inclined ramp. The solution involves using the vector projection formula and simplifying it to just the vector F multiplied by the vector v. The confusion lies in the disappearance of the squared norm, which is explained by the fact that the vector v is a unit vector with a norm of 1.
amalia

Homework Statement

This is from Larson's Calculus Early Transcendentals 4th Ed (Pg. 786)

A 600-pound boat sits on a ramp imclined at 30 degrees, as shown in Figure 11.32. What force is required to keep the boat from rolling down the ramp?

Homework Equations

The solution gives the following equation: w1 = projvF = [(F * v) / ||v||2] = (F * v)v

The Attempt at a Solution

This is just an example in the book, and I'm confused about how the author did the last two steps in the previous equation. I think it's just one of those omissions where it's really simple, but I can't figure out why the length of the vector squared can just disappear.

Physics news on Phys.org
The second to last step makes sense, since that's just the vector projection formula:
[tex]\frac{(\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v})\vec{v}}{v^2}[/tex]
is the projection of [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] on to [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]. But I'm not understanding the last step. The norm squared can't just disappear like that, unless it's a unit vector (in which case the norm is 1).

Someone just told me it is a unit vector, but thanks for your help anyway! I had been wondering if that could just "cancel" or or not...

1. What is the dot product/projection in Calculus 3?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar quantity. In Calculus 3, the dot product is used to find the projection of one vector onto another.

2. How do you find the dot product/projection of two vectors?

To find the dot product/projection of two vectors, you need to multiply the magnitude of one vector by the component of the other vector in the same direction. This can be represented by the formula: a · b = |a||b|cosθ where a and b are the two vectors and θ is the angle between them.

3. What is the significance of the dot product/projection in Calculus 3?

In Calculus 3, the dot product/projection is used to determine the angle between two vectors, the work done by a force in a particular direction, and the distance of a point from a plane. It is also used in various applications, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

4. Can the dot product/projection be negative?

Yes, the dot product/projection can be negative. This occurs when the angle between the two vectors is greater than 90 degrees. In this case, the projection will be in the opposite direction of the vector being projected onto.

5. What are some real-life applications of the dot product/projection?

The dot product/projection has many real-life applications. It is used in computer graphics to determine the lighting and shading of 3D objects. It is also used in physics to calculate the work done by a force in a particular direction. In engineering, the dot product/projection is used to determine the force required to move an object along a certain path. Additionally, it is used in navigation and flight control systems to determine the orientation of aircrafts.