Thoughts on the movie Deja Vu

In summary, the conversation discusses a movie that deals with the concept of looking back in time. It is not the first movie to explore this topic, as a film by Ben Affleck also touches on it. The characters in the movie use a powerful telescope that bends space to achieve this feat. The speaker also mentions the practical difficulties of using a telescope to view events from the past, including the need for a specific mirror and sufficient magnification.
chaoseverlasting
Have any of you seen this movie? For those who have, is it actually possible to do what they've done in it (look back in time)? This isn't the first movie to deal with this phenomena, I believe that a move by Ben Affelick is also loosely based around the same principle.

From what I understand, they created a telescope powerful enough to look back in time by bending space upon itself... This is scientifically possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
wanted … one mirror!

Hi chaoseverlasting! :smile:

(I don't know anything about the movie, but …)

All telecopes look back in time! :smile:

The only practical difficulties with using a telescope to watch, say, the Americans discovering Columbus, are:
i] the lack of a mirror at exactly the right distance
ii] insufficient magnification (and photomultiplication). :smile:

I have not seen the movie Deja Vu, but I am familiar with the concept of looking back in time. While it may seem like a far-fetched idea, the concept of seeing the past through a powerful telescope is not entirely impossible.

In theory, if we were able to develop a telescope with an incredibly high resolution and powerful enough to see objects at great distances, we could potentially see light that has traveled from the past. Light takes time to travel, so when we look at distant objects, we are essentially seeing them as they were in the past. However, this would require a telescope that is far more advanced than what we currently have.

Additionally, the idea of bending space upon itself to see the past is not a scientifically accepted concept. While there are theories about bending space and time, they are still just theories and have not been proven. It is important to remember that movies often take creative liberties with scientific concepts for the sake of entertainment.

It is also worth noting that time travel, as portrayed in movies, is not a scientifically accepted concept. While there are theories about the possibility of traveling through time, they are still highly debated and have not been proven.

In conclusion, while the idea of looking back in time through a powerful telescope may be possible in theory, it is not currently possible with our current technology. And the concept of bending space to see the past is not scientifically accepted. It is important to approach movies that deal with scientific concepts with a critical eye and not take everything at face value.

1. What is the overall plot of the movie Deja Vu?

The movie Deja Vu follows the story of an ATF agent who uses a government time-traveling technology to prevent a terrorist attack and save a woman he has become obsessed with.

2. Does the concept of time-travel in Deja Vu follow any scientific principles?

While the concept of time-travel in Deja Vu is intriguing, it does not follow any known scientific principles. The idea of being able to view and interact with events in the past is currently not possible according to our understanding of physics.

3. How does the movie portray the concept of deja vu?

The movie portrays deja vu as a feeling of familiarity or recognition for a particular event or situation. In the movie, this feeling is explained as a result of traveling through a time loop.

4. Are there any scientific inaccuracies in the movie Deja Vu?

Like most movies involving time-travel, Deja Vu takes some creative liberties and may not be entirely scientifically accurate. However, the movie does a good job of explaining the concept of time-travel and keeping the story consistent within its own rules.

5. What are your overall thoughts on the movie Deja Vu?

As a scientist, I appreciate the attempt to incorporate scientific concepts into an action thriller. While the movie may not be entirely accurate, it raises interesting questions about the nature of time and the consequences of altering events in the past. Overall, it is an entertaining watch with a thought-provoking premise.