How Do You Calculate Hardness from Concentration Using Fick's Second Law?

• Thread starter kpx001
  • Start date
You have all the necessary variables to do so. In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving calculating concentration and hardness as a function of depth using variables such as D, D_0, Q_d, R, and T. The problem also involves creating a graph of concentration vs depth and using it to determine hardness vs depth.
kpx001
Can anyone help me solve this problem? I am unsure on what to do
http://yfrog.com/j5flicks2ndp

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you explain in your own words what the problem is asking? What is happening in the steel, and what variables does the process depend on?

i am guessing that they want me to use the graph to get another plot with concentration vs depth... then from that i am to get hardness vs depth. other than that i am confused as well. i have D and D_0 and Q_d and R and T. from this i can get concentration using flicks 2nd law.. but what about hardness and all that?

kpx001 said:
i am guessing that they want me to use the graph to get another plot with concentration vs depth... then from that i am to get hardness vs depth. other than that i am confused as well. i have D and D_0 and Q_d and R and T. from this i can get concentration using flicks 2nd law.. but what about hardness and all that?

It looks to me like you're supposed to calculate the concentration as a function of depth, then determine the hardness as a function of depth based on the graph of hardness as a function of concentration.

1. What is the problem that needs to be solved?

The problem that needs to be solved can vary depending on the situation. It could be a technical issue, a research question, or a real-world problem. It is important to clearly define the problem in order to find a solution.

2. Why is help needed to solve the problem?

Help may be needed to solve the problem because it could require a specific set of skills or expertise that the person or team facing the problem may not possess. Collaborating with others can bring new perspectives and ideas to the table, making it easier to find a solution.

3. What are the steps to solving a problem?

The steps to solving a problem typically involve identifying and defining the problem, gathering information and data, brainstorming possible solutions, evaluating and selecting the best solution, and implementing and evaluating the chosen solution. These steps may vary depending on the problem and the approach being used.

4. What are some common problem-solving techniques?

Some common problem-solving techniques include brainstorming, root cause analysis, SWOT analysis, and the scientific method. Each technique has its own unique approach, but they all involve breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts in order to find a solution.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

One way to improve problem-solving skills is to practice regularly. This can involve solving puzzles, playing strategy games, or even challenging yourself with real-world problems. Additionally, seeking feedback and learning from others who are skilled problem-solvers can also help improve your own skills.