What is the fraction of a rope that can hang over a table without sliding?

In summary, the coefficient of static friction between a table and a rope is mu_s, and the fraction of the rope that can hang over the edge of a table without the rope sliding is M/mu_s.
courtrigrad
If the coefficient of static friction between a table and a rope is [tex] \mu_{s} [/tex], what fraction of the rope can hang over the edge of a table without the rope sliding?

Ok, so I declared two variables, P and 1-P . From here, all I know is that mass and weight are not of any concern in this problem. Could someone please offer some help in solving this problem? I know the answer is [tex] \frac{\mu_{s}}{1+\mu_{s}} [/tex]

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the answer you have is right? i get something slightly different.

In any case, I think you should start by equating the two forces acting on your rope, [itex] F_g[/itex] and [itex]F_f[/itex]. You know that
[tex] F_g=mg[/tex], where m is the mass that's hanging, and that
[tex] F_f=\mu_s(M-m)[/tex], where M is the total mass

With these equations in hand, you can now find the critical percentage, M/m.

Hope it's useful, but once again, this leads to a different answer from that which you've got.

Lets say that p is hanging of the table and 1-p is on the table. Think how much force (mg) p is pulling down with and how much friction is resisting due to the 1-p on the table. Then equate the two. Oops! once again I post a second after someone else!

SN1987a said:
Are you sure the answer you have is right? i get something slightly different.
In any case, I think you should start by equating the two forces acting on your rope, [itex] F_g[/itex] and [itex]F_f[/itex]. You know that
[tex] F_g=mg[/tex], where m is the mass that's hanging, and that
[tex] F_f=\mu_s(M-m)[/tex], where M is the total mass
With these equations in hand, you can now find the critical percentage, M/m.
Hope it's useful, but once again, this leads to a different answer from that which you've got.

Did you really mean [tex]F_f=\mu_s(M-m)[/tex]? The part in brackets has to be a force for the equation to be homogenous, so I think you are missing a 'g' in this equation.

I agree with the answer that you are looking for

Regards,
Sam

BerryBoy said:
Did you really mean [tex]F_f=\mu_s(M-m)[/tex]? The part in brackets has to be a force for the equation to be homogenous, so I think you are missing a 'g' in this equation.
I agree with the answer that you are looking for
Regards,
Sam

Oops, yes, there's a g missing. So yeah, the answer is perfectly right.
Sorry, my bad.

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It represents the ratio of the force required to move one surface over the other, to the weight of the object pressing the surfaces together.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move the object by the weight of the object. This value is typically represented by the symbol "μ" and can range from 0 (no friction) to 1 (extreme friction).

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, including the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the amount of force pressing the surfaces together, and the presence of any lubricants or coatings on the surfaces.

4. Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important because it can help determine the amount of force needed to move an object over a surface, as well as the amount of heat and wear that may occur during this movement. It is also crucial in engineering and design, as it can affect the performance and safety of various mechanical systems.

5. How can the coefficient of friction be reduced?

The coefficient of friction can be reduced by using lubricants or coatings on the surfaces in contact, or by using materials with lower coefficients of friction. Additionally, increasing the smoothness or reducing the roughness of the surfaces can also help decrease the coefficient of friction.