POL converters or DC-DC converters

• Thread starter rama1001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Converters
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between DC-DC and POL converters, with the latter being placed closer to the point of load for more efficient regulation. This trend is seen in modern equipment, such as Google's servers, which use 12V power supplies and potentially employ point-of-load regulation for improved efficiency.
rama1001
Hi,
I understand the basic thing about DC-DC to converter but doubtful on POL converter. What exactly mean by point of load converter. Can anyone explain me clear and short in good way.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Rama

ok they are basically the same thing :) its just their positioning in the equip that is the difference

I have noticed this more and more on gear I service ... instead of the PUS's being centrally placed and voltages distributed all over the board/s.
The trend now is to place small hi efficiency DC-DC buck converters right at the POL.
All the buck converters (with their various voltage rails) are all fed from a central higher voltage and well regulated AC-DC ( or DC-DC in the case of portable gear) PSU.
the final regulation is done on the PCB right at the point of load instead of off board or at the far end of a larger PCB.

cheers
Dave

davenn said:
Hi Rama

ok they are basically the same thing :) its just their positioning in the equip that is the difference

I have noticed this more and more on gear I service ... instead of the PUS's being centrally placed and voltages distributed all over the board/s.
The trend now is to place small hi efficiency DC-DC buck converters right at the POL.
All the buck converters (with their various voltage rails) are all fed from a central higher voltage and well regulated AC-DC ( or DC-DC in the case of portable gear) PSU.
the final regulation is done on the PCB right at the point of load instead of off board or at the far end of a larger PCB.

cheers
Dave
I remember reading an article that Google re-engineered there servers to run on 12V power supplies, supposedly to improve efficiency by a small amount. I remember wondering how they would get the chips to work, if they had to re-engineer those too. Point-of-Load regulation seems more like what might have been done, you think that's a plausible explanation for what I read?

1. What is a POL converter?

A POL converter, short for point-of-load converter, is a type of DC-DC converter that is used to convert a higher voltage to a lower voltage at the point where it is needed in an electronic system. This allows for greater flexibility and efficiency in power distribution.

2. How does a POL converter work?

A POL converter typically uses a switching regulator to convert the input voltage to a high-frequency AC signal, which is then rectified and filtered to produce the desired output voltage. The amount of output voltage is controlled by adjusting the duty cycle of the switching signal.

3. What are the advantages of using a POL converter?

Some of the key advantages of using a POL converter include higher efficiency, smaller size, and lower cost compared to traditional linear regulators. They also offer better regulation and noise filtering, and can be easily reconfigured or replaced if needed.

4. Are there different types of POL converters?

Yes, there are several types of POL converters, including buck, boost, buck-boost, and flyback converters. Each type has its own unique characteristics and is best suited for different applications or load requirements.

5. What factors should be considered when selecting a POL converter?

The selection of a POL converter will depend on various factors such as input and output voltage requirements, load current, efficiency, cost, and operating conditions. It is important to carefully evaluate these factors to choose the most suitable POL converter for a specific application.