Continuous absorption spectrum

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the concept of continuous absorption spectrum. The book states that a pure green glass plate, when placed in the path of white light, absorbs everything except green and gives a continuous absorption spectrum. However, the individual questioning the statement is confused because they have studied that when light from a carbon arc is passed through sodium vapor, a continuous spectrum of the carbon arc with two dark lines in the yellow region is obtained. Since sodium vapor emits wavelengths of 5896 Armstrong and 5890 Armstrong, the yellow lines in the carbon arc spectrum are absorbed and absent in the absorption spectrum. This leads to confusion about the book's statement of a pure green glass plate absorbing everything except green. The individual is seeking clarification on whether
logearav

Homework Statement

While dealing with continuous absorption spectrum, my book depicts like this
" A pure green glass plate when placed in the path of white light, absorbs everything except green and gives continuous absorption spectrum"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand this, because i have studied when light from the carbon arc is made to pass through sodium vapour and then examined by a spectrometer, a continuous spectrum of carbon arc with two dark lines in the yellow region is obtained.
So, since sodium vapour emit wavelength of 5896 Armstrong 5890 Armstrong, yellow lines of carbon arc spectrum are absorbed and those lines are absent in the absorption spectrum.
If that's the case then the statement in my problem statement sounds wrong. A pure green glass plate should absorb green colour present in white light. But it is given, everything is absorbed except green.
Am i interpreting wrong or the book is wrong? Please help members

Physics news on Phys.org
logearav said:

Homework Statement

While dealing with continuous absorption spectrum, my book depicts like this
" A pure green glass plate when placed in the path of white light, absorbs everything except green and gives continuous absorption spectrum"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand this, because i have studied when light from the carbon arc is made to pass through sodium vapour and then examined by a spectrometer, a continuous spectrum of carbon arc with two dark lines in the yellow region is obtained.
So, since sodium vapour emit wavelength of 5896 Armstrong 5890 Armstrong, yellow lines of carbon arc spectrum are absorbed and those lines are absent in the absorption spectrum.
If that's the case then the statement in my problem statement sounds wrong. A pure green glass plate should absorb green colour present in white light. But it is given, everything is absorbed except green.
Am i interpreting wrong or the book is wrong? Please help members

What color would you see at the end of where the white light passes through the glass ?

No, i can't understand your query. I assume green colour alone should be absorbed.

1. What is a continuous absorption spectrum?

A continuous absorption spectrum is a graphical representation of the amount of light absorbed by a substance at different wavelengths. It shows a smooth, continuous curve indicating the wavelengths at which the substance absorbs the most light.

2. How is a continuous absorption spectrum different from a discrete absorption spectrum?

A continuous absorption spectrum shows a smooth curve, while a discrete absorption spectrum shows distinct lines or bands. This is because a continuous spectrum is produced by a substance that absorbs light at all wavelengths, whereas a discrete spectrum is produced by a substance that only absorbs light at specific wavelengths.

3. What factors can affect the shape of a continuous absorption spectrum?

The shape of a continuous absorption spectrum can be affected by the chemical composition of the substance, the concentration of the substance, and the temperature and pressure of the environment in which the spectrum is measured.

4. How is a continuous absorption spectrum used in scientific research?

Continuous absorption spectra are commonly used in scientific research to identify the chemical composition of substances, as each substance has a unique absorption spectrum. They are also used to study the behavior of molecules and atoms, and to determine the concentration of a substance in a sample.

5. Can a continuous absorption spectrum be used in practical applications?

Yes, continuous absorption spectra have many practical applications. They are used in fields such as chemistry, physics, and astronomy to analyze the chemical composition of substances and to study the behavior of molecules and atoms. They are also used in industries such as environmental monitoring and food and beverage production.