Understanding a schematic diagram

In summary, the conversation is about an electrical engineering student who is struggling to understand how to calculate voltage gain and output resistance in a circuit. They are confused about the schematic diagram and the placement of voltage sources. It is clarified that the +10V and +5V are for power supply connections and the u1 is a signal source. The student is advised to use a 0.1V ac source to begin with and adjust for reasonable results. They mention being new to FET and MOSFETS and thank the person for their help.
knightmetal

Homework Statement

I'm an electrical engineering student and in this exercise I'm asked to calculate (and simulate in MicroCap or Multism) voltage gain and output resistance. The problem is that I don't understand how the voltage source (s) is/are connected according to this schematic diagram.

On the left I can see "u1" but then then I also see +10V and +5V. My teacher didn't give me a value for u1, do I need three voltage sources in this circuit or are +5V and 10+ readings I must get by setting a value for u1 based on the given data?

I'm so sorry if the answer to this is too obvious, I'm learning and honestly, I don't get it. That's why I'm here :)

Thanks a lot for your help.

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
The +10V and +5V are for power supply connections. You'll need a source for each. The u1 is a signal source, typically a small ac signal that is to be amplified. You might want to try a 0.1V ac source to begin with and see what the circuit amplification looks like. Adjust for reasonable results.

Thanks gneill,

That was my first guess but I got confused because I've always worked with one power supply, not with two as in this exercise. Plus I'm new to FET and MOSFETS so I wasn't really sure of what I was doing.

Cheers.

1. What is a schematic diagram?

A schematic diagram is a simplified visual representation of a system or process, typically using symbols and lines to convey information. It is commonly used in science and engineering to illustrate the structure, components, and connections of a complex system.

2. Why are schematic diagrams important in science?

Schematic diagrams are important in science because they provide a concise and clear way to represent complex information. They allow scientists to analyze and understand a system or process more easily, making it easier to identify potential problems or improvements.

3. How do you read a schematic diagram?

To read a schematic diagram, start by identifying the key components and their symbols. Then, follow the lines to understand how the components are connected and how they interact with each other. It is also important to refer to the legend or key to understand the meaning of each symbol used in the diagram.

4. What are the benefits of using a schematic diagram?

There are several benefits to using a schematic diagram, including its ability to simplify complex information, provide a visual representation of a system or process, and aid in troubleshooting and problem-solving. It also allows for easier communication and understanding among scientists and engineers.

5. How can I create a schematic diagram?

To create a schematic diagram, you can use various software programs specifically designed for this purpose, such as CAD software or specialized diagramming tools. You can also hand-draw a schematic diagram using a ruler, compass, and appropriate symbols or shapes. It is important to ensure accuracy and clarity when creating a schematic diagram.