What Are the Outcomes of a Tennis Ball and Basketball Elastic Collision?

In summary, the problem involves a tennis ball and basketball being dropped from the same height and colliding with each other. The magnitude of the downward velocity of the basketball when it reaches the ground can be found using the equations for mechanical energy. In the scenario where the basketball bounces off the ground and collides with the moving tennis ball, the speed of the tennis ball can be determined using conservation of momentum and kinetic energy. The height to which the tennis ball rebounds can then be calculated.
latitude

Homework Statement

A tennis ball of mass 57 g is held just above a basketball of mass 590 g. With their centres verticaly aligned, both are released from rest at the same moment, to fall through a distance of 1.2 m.
a) Find the magnitude of the downward velocity w/ which the basketball reaches the ground
b) Assume an elastic collision with the ground instantaneously reverses the velocity of the basketball while the tennis ball is still moving down. Next, the two balls meet in an elastic collision. What is the velocity of the tennis ball immediately after the collision?
c) Find the height to which the tennis ball rebounds.

Homework Equations

Emech = K + U
Emechi = Emechf
mvi = mvf
Ki = Kf

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I think I did a) right; I used
Emechi = Ki + Ui
= 1/2mv^2 + mgh
= 1/2(0.59 g)(0)^2 + (0.59)(9.81)(1.2)
= 6.94 J
Emechi = Emechf
6.94 J = 1/2(0.59)v^2 + (0.59)(9.81)(0)
v = 4.85 m/s

But yeah. I can't seem to get b. I've tried using the formula v1i - v2i = -(v1f - v2f)
but I don't know the tennis ball's initial velocity. Is there a way to find this using the whole conservation of momentum and kinetic energy spiel? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In an "elastic collision", kinetic energy is conserved. The basketball's upward speed is the same as the downward speed you got in (a). Since the tennis ball has exactly the same acceleration as the basket ball and falls for the same length of time (since the tennis ball is held "just above" the basketball, the time beween the basketball hitting the ground and the tennisball hitting the basketball is neglegible) the speed of the tennis ball downward is the same as the speed of the basketball when they collide- only different signs. Since the answer you give for (a) is positive, I assume that you are taking "downward" to be positive. Just before they collide, the basketballs velocity is -4.85 m/s and the tennis ball's velocity is +4.85 m/s. Now use conservation of momentum and conservation of energy.

I would like to first commend your attempt at solving the problem and using the appropriate equations. Your solution for part a) seems correct.

For part b), you are correct in using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations. However, you are missing one crucial piece of information - the initial velocity of the tennis ball. In order to solve for this, we can use the fact that the two balls have the same initial height and are released at the same time. This means that they both have the same initial potential energy, and therefore the same initial kinetic energy.

Using this information, we can set up the equations:

m1vi1 = m2vi2 (conservation of momentum)
1/2m1vi1^2 = 1/2m2vi2^2 (conservation of kinetic energy)

Substituting in the masses of the two balls, we get:

0.057vi1 = 0.59vi2
0.057vi1^2 = 0.59vi2^2

Solving for vi1 and vi2, we get:

vi1 = 10.35vi2
vi1^2 = 10.35vi2^2

Plugging these values into the original equations, we get:

m1(10.35vi2) = m2vi2
1/2m1(10.35vi2)^2 = 1/2m2vi2^2

Simplifying and solving for vi2, we get:

vi2 = 4.85 m/s

Therefore, the initial velocity of the tennis ball is also 4.85 m/s.

For part c), we can use the same equations and substitute in the initial velocities we just found. However, this time, the final velocity of the tennis ball will be in the opposite direction, as it is rebounding upward.

m1vi1 = m2vi2
1/2m1vi1^2 = 1/2m2vi2^2

Substituting in the masses and initial velocities, we get:

0.057(4.85) = 0.59(-vi2)
0.057(4.85)^2 = 0.59(-vi2)^2

Simplifying and solving for -vi2, we get:

-vi2 = 0.47 m/s

Therefore, the velocity of the

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision remains the same.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system remains the same before and after the collision, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation of the objects involved.

What is the formula for calculating the final velocities in an elastic collision?

The formula for calculating the final velocities in an elastic collision is: v1f = (m1 - m2)v1i + 2m2v2i / (m1 + m2) and v2f = 2m1v1i + (m2 - m1)v2i / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, v1i and v2i are the initial velocities, and v1f and v2f are the final velocities.

What is the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. It is defined as the ratio of the relative velocity of separation after the collision to the relative velocity of approach before the collision. In an elastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is equal to 1.

How does the angle of collision affect the final velocities in an elastic collision?

The angle of collision does not affect the final velocities in an elastic collision. The final velocities only depend on the masses and initial velocities of the objects involved. However, the direction of the final velocities will be affected by the angle of collision.