Equation of tangent plane at (2, -1, ln 7): z = ln 7 + (4/7)(x-2) - (6/7)(y+1)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the normal vector and equation of the tangent plane to the surface z = ln (x^{2}+3y^{2}) at the point (2, -1, ln 7). The process involves taking partial derivatives with respect to x and y, evaluating them at the given point, and using them in the equation z = z_{0} + F_{x}(x,y)(x - x_{0}) + F_{y}(x,y)(y - y_{0}) to find the equation of the tangent plane. The normal vector is also discussed, which is (4/11, -6/11, -1) if the calculations are done correctly. The conversation ends with a
JFonseka
Just when I thought I got the hang of tangent planes and surfaces there comes a question I haven't quite seen before

z = ln (x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+3y[tex]^{2}[/tex])

Find a normal vector n and the equation of the tangent plane to the surface at the point
(2, -1, ln 7)

So keeping the cartesian equation in mind:

z = z[tex]_{0}[/tex] + F[tex]_{x}[/tex](x,y)(x - x[tex]_{0}[/tex]) + F[tex]_{y}[/tex](x,y)(y - y[tex]_{0}[/tex])

Partial derivative with respect to x: [tex]\frac{2x}{x^{2} + 3y^{2}}[/tex]
Evaluate with the values and I get 4/11

Partial derivate with respect to y: [tex]\frac{6y}{x^{2} + 3y^{2}}[/tex]
Evaluate with the values and I get -6/11

Have I done this correctly?

So putting it all in the equation I get z = ln 7 + 4x/11 -6y/11 -14/11

I get the feeling I did something wrong somewhere, and of course the normal vector would be (4/11, -6/11, -1) if everything was right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
just take the gradient of [itex]ln (x ^{2} +3y ^{2} ) - z [/itex] and evaluate it at the point

Do you mean dz/dx or dz/dy or something else?

JFonseka said:
Do you mean dz/dx or dz/dy or something else?

have you not learned about gradient? [itex]\nabla=<\frac{\partial f}{\partial x},\frac{\partial f}{\partial y},\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}>[/itex] = the defining vector of the tangent plane.

Well that's what I did earlier lol.

(4/11, -6/11, -1)

Thanks

Then do the arithmetic again. x2+ 3y2= 42+ 3(-1)2 is NOT 11!

It should be 2^2 + 3(-1)^2 which is 7...hehe, now where did that rogue 11 come from, lol.

1. What is a tangent plane?

A tangent plane is a flat surface that touches a curved surface at only one point. It is perpendicular to the curve at that point and can be thought of as the best approximation of the curve at that point.

2. How is a tangent plane calculated?

A tangent plane can be calculated by finding the slope of the curve at the point of tangency and using that slope to determine the equation of the plane. This can be done using calculus and the equation for a plane in three-dimensional space.

3. What is the significance of tangent planes?

Tangent planes are important in understanding the behavior and properties of curved surfaces. They can be used to find the normal vector to the surface, which is important in many physical and mathematical applications.

4. Can a tangent plane exist at every point on a curved surface?

No, a tangent plane can only exist at points where the curve is differentiable, meaning that the slope of the curve exists and is continuous at that point.

5. How are tangent planes and surfaces used in real-world applications?

Tangent planes and surfaces are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. They are used to model and analyze the behavior of curved surfaces, such as in designing airplane wings, creating 3D animations, and predicting the trajectory of a moving object.