The Solar Phenomena: Prominences, Flares, and CMEs

In summary, prominences, solar flares, and CME's are all different phenomena that occur on the sun. Prominences are large bunches of plasma suspended above the surface by magnetic fields and can last for hours or days. Solar flares are highly energetic events that occur in active regions where there is a high magnetic field. They are short-lived, lasting only seconds to minutes. CME's are similar to prominences, but are ejected into space. While it may be possible to call a CME a "run-away prominence," this description may not apply to solar flares. Flares and prominences are often associated with each other, but they are different in terms of the release of magnetic energy. A good resource for
daveed
whats the difference between prominences, solar flares, and CME's?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
A solar flare is basically a run-away prominence (with characteristicly larger energy). I don't know anything about CME's.

Coronal Mass Ejection. Google will find lots of good papers, try 'flare prominence CME'

A prominence (also known as a filament when seen as against the photosphere where it appears darker) is a big bunch of plasma hanging above the surface suspended by the magnetic field. Sometimes, but not always associated with active regions (sunspot groups). When seen against the edge of the disk they show up in H-alpha light looking like hedges, licks of flame, arcs, loops and so on.

Prominences tend to hang around for some time (hours, days) as they evolve whereas flares are small, highly localised, highly energetic (practically explosive) events of seconds to minutes duration, occurring in active regions where there is a high magnetic field (specifically, areas of magnetic shear).

CME's are somewhat like big prominences that have broken off and are hurtling into space. I don't really know that much about them.

I'd say it was OK to call a CME is a run away prominence. But, I'm not sure that description extends to flares (well, IMO - Turin might be on a different train of thought to me).

At least as I understand it, flares are pretty different being the sudden release of magnetic energy by reconnection, whereas prominences are merely dense gas being supported by the magnetic field. They are often associated though.

A good website to take a look at might be http://science.msfc.nasa.gov/ssl/pad/solar/default.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are solar prominences?

Solar prominences are large, bright features that can be seen on the edge of the sun's disk. They are made up of hot, dense plasma (ionized gas) that is held in place by magnetic fields.

2. What causes solar flares?

Solar flares are caused by sudden releases of energy from the sun's magnetic field. This can happen when the magnetic field lines become twisted and tangled, releasing a burst of radiation and particles.

3. How do solar flares affect Earth?

Solar flares can have a range of effects on Earth, including disrupting satellite and radio communications, causing power outages, and creating auroras in the sky.

4. What is a coronal mass ejection (CME)?

A coronal mass ejection is a large release of plasma and magnetic fields from the sun into space. CMEs can travel at speeds of up to 3 million miles per hour and can cause geomagnetic storms when they interact with Earth's magnetic field.

5. How do scientists study solar phenomena?

Scientists study solar phenomena using a variety of tools and techniques, including telescopes that can observe different wavelengths of light, spacecraft that can fly close to the sun, and computer simulations to model and understand the complex processes involved.