How fast is the distance between two ships changing?

In summary: So2c dc/dt= 2a da/dt+ 2b db/dt+ a db/dt+ b da/dt= 2(8)(20)+ 2(6)(30)+ 8(30)+ 6(20)= 160+ 360+ 240+ 120= 880Since c= √(a2+b2+ ab)= √(64+ 36+ 48)= √148= 2√37, we have2(2√37) dc/dt= 880dc/dt= 880/(4√37)= 220/&
courtrigrad
Hello all

I need help with the following question

Two ships A and B are sailing away from the point O along routes such that angle AOB = 120 degrees. How fast is the distance between them changing if, at a certain instant OA = 8 mi. OB = 6 ,i., ship A is sailing at the rate of 20 mi/hr, and ship B at the rate of 30 mi/hr.

I drew an obtuse triangle with the angle 120 degrees. Then I tried using the law of cosines to find the sides. I want to find dY / dt.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT:Express the area of the triangle in two distinct ways.Use the gact that the angle AOB is constant.

Daniel.

Let the sides of the triangle be a, b and c, with c being the straight-line distance between the two ships. Note, then, that you have a, b, da/dt and db/dt. You want dc/dt. All you need is a relationship between a, b, and c - then take the time-derivative of that relationship and you'll be there, minus a little algebra. As you've indicated, you already know how to get that relationship.

dextercioby, could you give more detail? Using area sounds interesting but I don't see how it works.

Yes, courtrigrad, using the cosine law is the way I, at least, would do the problem. As Diane suggested, call the length of OA, a, the length of OB, b, and the length of AB, Y (since you used that label). The cosine law says that Y2= a2+ b2- 2abcos(120)= a2+ b2- √(3)ab. To convert that "static" equation into an equation for dY/dt, differentiate both sides (you will need to use "implicit" differentiation). Evaluate with a= 8, b= 6, da/dt= 20, db/dt= 30. You can use the cosine law to find the correct value of Y to put into the equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
[tex] S(t)=OB(t)\cdot OA(t) cdot \sin 120=AB(t)\cdot h_{tr.}(t) [/tex] (1)
There was a '2',but got simplified.Take time derivative
[tex] [\frac{dOB(t)}{dt}OA(t)+OB\frac{dOA(t)}{dt}]\sin 120=\frac{dAB(t)}{dt}h_{tr.}(t)+AB(t)\frac{dh_{tr.}(t)}{dt} [/tex](1)

Unfortunately the triagle is not isosceles,so the numbers won't be very pretty.With a little bit of trigonometry and geometry,one finds
[tex] {dh_{tr.}(t)}{dt}=\frac{3\sqrt{39}}{13}\frac{dOA(t)}{dt} [/tex] (2)
[tex] AB(t)=2\sqrt{13} [/tex] (3)
[tex] h(t)=\frac{24\sqrt{39}}{13} [/tex] (4)

Eq.(1) pp.(4) give:
[tex] \frac{dOA(t)}{dt}=\frac{1}{h}\{\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[OA(t)\frac{dOB(t)}{dt}+OB(t)\frac{dOA(t)}{dt}]-AB\frac{dh(t)}{dt}\}=\frac{5\sqrt{13}}{2} mph [/tex] (5)

Daniel.

PS.Maybe your method is better.Mine seemed more intuitive.TO ME.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
dextercioby, could you give more detail? Using area sounds interesting but I don't see how it works.

Yes, courtrigrad, using the cosine law is the way I, at least, would do the problem. As Diane suggested, call the length of OA, a, the length of OB, b, and the length of AB, Y (since you used that label). The cosine law says that Y2= a2+ b2- 2abcos(120)= a2+ b2- √(3)ab. To convert that "static" equation into an equation for dY/dt, differentiate both sides (you will need to use "implicit" differentiation). Evaluate with a= 8, b= 6, da/dt= 20, db/dt= 30. You can use the cosine law to find the correct value of Y to put into the equation.

You mean "... = a2+ b2+ab", don't you? (I think you accidentally slipped in the sine of 120 instead of the cosine).

I think Halls is right

c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab cos C

courtrigrad said:
I think Halls is right

c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab cos C

Yes, this part is right. The angle stays constant (don't make the mistake of taking the derivative of cos C). Since it's constant, the equation could be simplified to c^2=(a^2 + b^2 +ab) prior to differentiating.

Oops! Yes, the cos(120)= -1/2, not √(3)/2. The formula should be
c2= a2+ b2+ ab as BobG said.

1. What is the definition of related rates in the context of two ships?

Related rates in the context of two ships refer to the changes in the positions or speeds of two ships that are moving in relation to each other. It involves finding the rate at which a certain variable, such as the distance between the two ships, is changing over time.

2. How are related rates of two ships calculated?

The related rates of two ships are calculated using the principles of calculus, specifically the chain rule. The positions and speeds of the two ships are represented by variables such as x, y, and t. By taking the derivatives of these variables with respect to time, we can find the related rates of the ships.

3. What are some real world applications of related rates of two ships?

Related rates of two ships have many practical applications, particularly in navigation and marine transportation. For example, they can be used to calculate the time it will take for two ships to reach a certain distance from each other, or to determine the optimal course for avoiding collisions.

4. What are some common challenges when solving related rates problems involving two ships?

One common challenge when solving related rates problems involving two ships is determining the correct variables to use and setting up the equations correctly. It can also be challenging to visualize the movements of the ships and accurately represent them mathematically.

5. How can understanding related rates of two ships be useful for scientists?

Understanding related rates of two ships can be useful for scientists in many fields, such as oceanography and meteorology. It allows them to accurately model and predict the movements of ships and other objects in the ocean, which can have a significant impact on marine ecosystems and weather patterns.