With FORTRAN I may program Microcontrollers ?

In summary, FORTRAN is not commonly used for programming Microcontrollers as most platforms use C or their native assembler. Some uPs also support Basic. There are limited options for using FORTRAN with Microcontrollers, such as using Windows/Mac machines. FORTRAN is an older language and C is generally considered a better option for uC programming. However, FORTRAN can still be used in engineering fields like electrical, computer, and aerospace engineering. FORCE 2.0 is a possible tool for using FORTRAN in these fields.
LSE1234
With FORTRAN I may program Microcontrollers ? what else ? Can you give me some edu sites (offer such kits) of using fortran such a way ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Most Microcontroller (uP) development platforms use C (an artificial assembler).
Or can be programed in their native assembler.
Some uPs support Basic.

I don't know of any that support Fortran, unless you want to call Windows/Mac platform machines Microcontrollers.

how fortran used in engineering(electronics) or else ?

LSE1234 said:
how fortran used in engineering(electronics) or else ?

Here's more info about Fortran. It was actually the first language I learned, back about a billion years ago. C is a much better language for uC programming, IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortran

Depends on the micro...

http://www.ghs.com/products/FORTRAN_compilers.html

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the FORTRAN APPLICATIONS briefly in electrical, computer and aerospace engineering ?

All fortran can do, I may do it with FORCE 2.0(http://force.lepsch.com/index.html) ?

1. What is FORTRAN and how is it used in programming microcontrollers?

FORTRAN, which stands for "Formula Translation", is a high-level programming language that is commonly used for scientific and engineering applications. It was originally developed in the 1950s and is known for its ability to handle complex mathematical computations. In programming microcontrollers, FORTRAN is used to write code that controls the behavior and functionality of the microcontroller.

2. Can FORTRAN be used to program any type of microcontroller?

Yes, FORTRAN can be used to program a wide range of microcontrollers, including those from popular brands such as Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and PIC. However, some microcontrollers may have specific requirements or limitations when it comes to using FORTRAN, so it is important to check the device's documentation before starting a project.

3. Is FORTRAN the best language for programming microcontrollers?

It depends on the specific application and the programmer's preferences. FORTRAN is well-suited for mathematical and scientific computations, which makes it a good choice for microcontrollers that require these types of calculations. However, other languages such as C and assembly may be more suitable for certain tasks or offer better performance.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in mathematics to use FORTRAN for microcontroller programming?

While a solid understanding of mathematical concepts is helpful, it is not necessarily required to use FORTRAN for microcontroller programming. Many basic functions and calculations can be easily implemented without advanced mathematical knowledge. Additionally, there are many resources available for learning FORTRAN and its applications in microcontroller programming.

5. What are the benefits of using FORTRAN for microcontroller programming?

One of the main benefits of using FORTRAN for microcontroller programming is its ability to handle complex mathematical computations with ease. It also has a long history and a large community of users, making it a reliable and well-supported language. Additionally, FORTRAN is highly efficient and can offer good performance for applications that require a lot of number crunching.