Triple Integral ( IS THIS RIGHT?)

In summary: The integral is then \int_{x = 0}^{\sqrt{2}} \int_{y = 0}^{\sqrt{2 - x^2}} \int_{z = x^2 + y^2}^{2} x~ dz dy dx.
een
Triple Integral ( IS THIS RIGHT??)

Homework Statement

Let R be the solid enclosed by the planes x=0, y=0, z=2 and the surface x^2+y^2, where
x[tex]\geq[/tex]0, y[tex]\geq[/tex]0. Compute[tex]\int\int\int[/tex]xdxdydz

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did [tex]\int[/tex]0-1[tex]\int[/tex]0-1[tex]\int[/tex](x^2+y^2)-2 xdzdydx

[tex]\int[/tex]0-1[tex]\int[/tex]0-12x-x^3-xy^2 dydx
[tex]\int[/tex]0-1[2xy-x^3y-xy^3/3]0-1 dx
[tex]\int[/tex]0-12x-x^3-x/3dx = 1-1/4-1/6 = 7/12
Can someone tell me if this is the correct answer

Physics news on Phys.org

pretty hard to read, below might help your formatting...
[tex]\int_{0}^1dx\int_{0}^1dy[/tex]

you got x and y's upper limits wrong.
you are calculating the volume between these two surfaces (z(x,y) = x2 + y2, z < 2), see attachment.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:

okay.. this is what i got...
the lower limit of x is 0 the upper limit is sqrt(2)
same for y
the lower limit of z is x^2+y^2 and the upper limit is 2...
is that right?

yes, my result is 4/3.

i am getting sqrt(2)/3... what am i doing wrong?... i used the limits that you told me and I am pretty sure that i integrated correctly... can you show me step by step

I have switched the order of integration, leaving the integrand unchanged. I think these are the correct limits of integration.
[tex]\int_{x = 0}^{\sqrt{2}} \int_{y = 0}^{\sqrt{2 - x^2}} \int_{z = x^2 + y^2}^{2} x~ dz dy dx [/tex]

The projection of this region onto the x-y plane is the disk x^2 + y^2 <= 2, a disk of radius sqrt(2) centered at the origin. Geometrically, we have a stack of blocks dx by dy that extend from the paraboloid up to the plane z = 2. Then we let the stack sweep out along the y-axis from y = 0 to y = sqrt(2 - x^2) (i.e., out to the boundary of the disk), then finally let this wall of blocks sweep from x = 0 to x = sqrt(2).

What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional region in space. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region, with each integral representing a different dimension.

When is a triple integral used?

A triple integral is used when calculating the volume of a three-dimensional object or region, such as a solid shape or a space enclosed by multiple surfaces. It is also used in physics and engineering to calculate quantities related to mass, energy, and fluid flow.

What are the limits of integration in a triple integral?

The limits of integration in a triple integral depend on the shape and orientation of the region being integrated. They are determined by the boundaries of the region, which can be described using equations or inequalities in terms of the three variables being integrated.

How is a triple integral calculated?

A triple integral is calculated by breaking down the three-dimensional region into smaller, more manageable shapes such as cubes, cylinders, or spheres. The integral is then evaluated for each of these shapes and the results are added together to find the total volume of the region.

What are some applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the mass of a three-dimensional object, the volume of a fluid flowing through a region, or the center of mass of a solid shape. They are also used in probability and statistics to calculate joint probabilities and expected values in multiple dimensions.