Applying integration to math problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of (x+2)^2 with respect to x. Two different methods were used, substitution and direct integration, and the resulting solutions were compared. While the solutions appeared different, they are actually the same within a constant. This is because indefinite integrals represent a set of curves and the constant can be shifted up or down along the Y axis. Upon differentiation, the same original function is obtained, which is the definition of an indefinite integral.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
I am looking at the integration of ##(x+2)^2## with respect to ##x##
Relevant Equations
Integration
Ok i know that,
##\int (x+2)^2 dx= \int [x^2+4x+4] dx= \dfrac{x^3}{3}+2x^2+4x+c##

when i use substitution;

i.e letting ##u=x+2## i end up with;

##\int u^2 du= \dfrac{u^3}{3}+c=\dfrac {(x+2)^3}{3}+c=\dfrac{x^3+6x^2+12x+8}{3} +c##

clearly the two solutions are not the same...

appreciate your insight...which approach is more concrete? note that when we differentiate both solutions we get the same function i.e ##x^2+4x+4##.

• Sad
Likes PeroK and malawi_glenn
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
They are the same to within a constant which is what one expects. Try integrating with bounds from 0 to a.

• Love
Likes scottdave, SammyS, Mark44 and 1 other person
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: I am looking at the integration of ##(x+2)^2## with respect to ##x##
Relevant Equations:: Integration

Ok i know that,
##\int (x+2)^2 dx= \int [x^2+4x+4] dx= \dfrac{x^3}{3}+2x^2+4x+c##

when i use substitution;

i.e letting ##u=x+2## i end up with;

##\int u^2 du= \dfrac{u^3}{3}+c=\dfrac {(x+2)^3}{3}+c=\dfrac{x^3+6x^2+12x+8}{3} +c##

appreciate your insight...which approach is more concrete? note that when we differentiate both solutions we get the same function i.e ##x^2+4x+4##.
Indefinite integrals can be regarded as a set (family) of curves, and each of the curves can be obtained by shifting in a parallel the curve, upwards or downwards (along the "Y" axis).

Likes chwala
The constant "c" in the first example is not necessarily the same "number" as the constant in the second example.

Likes chwala
chwala said:
Why are they not the same? 8/3 + c is a constant right?

You wrote that upon differentiating, we get the same original function.
Well, that is the definition of indefinite integral, i.e. primitive function my friend.

Likes chwala
malawi_glenn said:
Why are they not the same? 8/3 + c is a constant right?

You wrote that upon differentiating, we get the same original function.
Well, that is the definition of indefinite integral, i.e. primitive function my friend.
True, that ought to have been pretty obvious to me...:biggrin:...cheers man!

1. What is integration and how is it used in math problems?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. It is used in math problems to solve for quantities such as distance, velocity, and acceleration, and to find the total change in a quantity over a given interval of time or space.

2. What are the different methods of integration?

The most commonly used methods of integration are the substitution method, integration by parts, and partial fractions. Other methods include trigonometric substitution, integration by trigonometric identities, and numerical integration.

3. How do I know when to use integration in a math problem?

Integration is typically used when the problem involves finding the area under a curve or the total change in a quantity over a given interval. It can also be used to solve certain types of differential equations.

4. Can integration be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, integration is commonly used in real-world applications such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It can be used to model and analyze real-world phenomena and make predictions.

5. Are there any tips for solving integration problems?

Some tips for solving integration problems include identifying the type of problem (e.g. finding the area under a curve, solving a differential equation), choosing the appropriate method of integration, and carefully applying integration rules and techniques. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with common integration patterns and formulas.