Does Iterated Integral Define a Solid?

In summary, the given iterated integral \displaystyle\int_{0}^{2}\displaystyle\int_{0}^{2-y}\displaystyle\int_{0}^{4-y^2}dxdzdy defines a solid in the first octant bounded by the x-y plane, x-z plane, and y-z plane. This solid is bounded by the graph of the cylinder x = 4 - y2 and the plane z = 2 - y. It may appear at first that the integral does not define a solid, but upon sketching the region of integration, it is clear that it does.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Hi there, I have this iterated integral [tex]\displaystyle\int_{0}^{2}\displaystyle\int_{0}^{2-y}\displaystyle\int_{0}^{4-y^2}dxdzdy[/tex], and the thing is, does it define a solid? because I think that as it is given it doesn't, but I'm not sure. I think that the cylindric paraboloid never cuts the x axis, and that's why I think this integral doesn't define any solid.

Physics news on Phys.org
Telemachus said:

Homework Statement

Hi there, I have this iterated integral [tex]\displaystyle\int_{0}^{2}\displaystyle\int_{0}^{2-y}\displaystyle\int_{0}^{4-y^2}dxdzdy[/tex], and the thing is, does it define a solid? because I think that as it is given it doesn't, but I'm not sure. I think that the cylindric paraboloid never cuts the x axis, and that's why I think this integral doesn't define any solid.
If you sketch a graph of the region over which integration takes place, you'll see that it is a solid. The solid is in the first octant (i.e., bounded by the x-y plane, x-z plane, and y-z plane), and is bounded by the graph of the cylinder x = 4 - y2 and the plane z = 2 - y.

Thank you very much Mark ;)

1. What is an iterated integral?

An iterated integral is a type of multiple integral that is used to find the volume or area of a three-dimensional solid or the surface area of a two-dimensional region.

2. How is an iterated integral used to define a solid?

An iterated integral is used to define a solid by integrating over the cross sections of the solid in a specific order, usually starting from the base and moving towards the top. The resulting value is the volume of the solid.

3. What is the difference between a single integral and an iterated integral?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve in one dimension, while an iterated integral is used to find the volume or area of a three-dimensional solid or the surface area of a two-dimensional region.

4. Can an iterated integral be used to find the volume of any solid?

Yes, an iterated integral can be used to find the volume of any solid as long as the boundaries of the solid are known and the integrand is properly set up.

5. What are some real-life applications of iterated integrals?

Iterated integrals have many real-life applications, including calculating the volume of objects such as buildings or containers, determining the mass and center of mass of an object, and finding the probability of events in statistics.