Changing the order of a triple integral

In summary: The limits of integration for z (the middle integration) are wrong. The top of the solid is not horizontal, so z is not uniformly equal to 4.The sketch is something like this (slice perpendicular to x axis, as asked). This is what I visualise nowx axis extremes: From ##x=0## to ##x=\sqrt{23}##z axis extremes: From ##z=0## to ##z=4-y##y axis extremes: From ##y=\frac{x^2-23}{4}## to ##z=4-z##But there is obviously something wrong with either the y or z extremes...
JD_PM

Homework Statement

$$\int_{-23/4}^4\int_0^{4-y}\int_0^{\sqrt{4y+23}} f(x,y,z) dxdzdy$$

Change the order of the integral to

$$\iiint f(x,y,z) \, \mathrm{dydzdx}$$What I have done

It is just about:

From ##x=0## to ##x=\sqrt{4y+23}##

From ##z=0## to ##z=4-y##

From ##y=\frac{x^2-23}{4}## to ##y=4##

So

$$\int_0^{\sqrt{23}}\int_0^4\int_{\frac{x^2-23}{4}}^{4} f(x,y,z) dydzdx$$

But this is incorrect. What am I missing?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
JD_PM said:

Homework Statement

$$\int_{-23/4}^4\int_0^{4-y}\int_0^{\sqrt{4y+23}} f(x,y,z) dxdzdy$$

Change the order of the integral to

$$\iiint f(x,y,z) \, \mathrm{dydzdx}$$What I have done

It is just about:

From ##x=0## to ##x=\sqrt{4y+23}##

From ##z=0## to ##z=4-y##

So

Thanks
Are you missing a sketch of the region of integration?
This region is fairly complicated, being the intersection of half of a parabolic solid whose axis is perpendicular to the x-y plane and a plane that makes an angle with the x-y plane.

JD_PM said:
What am I missing?
The integral over ##dx## yields a function of ##y##
Try it with ##f(x,y,z) = 1##

BvU said:
The integral over ##dx## yields a function of ##y##
Try it with ##f(x,y,z) = 1##

I would say ##f(x,y,z) = 1## is not relevant for the problem; I am just interested in changing the extremes and not in solving the integral.

Likes SammyS
JD_PM said:
So

I ask again, did you draw a sketch of the region of integration?

The limits of integration for z (the middle integration) are wrong. The top of the solid is not horizontal, so z is not uniformly equal to 4.

Likes JD_PM
JD_PM said:
I would say ##f(x,y,z) = 1## is not relevant for the problem; I am just interested in changing the extremes and not in solving the integral.
Think about it.

Using ##\ f(x,y,z) = 1\,,\ ## as suggested by @BvU, would give a check as to whether the limits of integration you obtained give the same result as the original limits.

Likes Delta2 and JD_PM
Mark44 said:
I ask again, did you draw a sketch of the region of integration?

The limits of integration for z (the middle integration) are wrong. The top of the solid is not horizontal, so z is not uniformly equal to 4.
Captura de pantalla (504).png

The sketch is something like this (slice perpendicular to x axis, as asked). This is what I visualise now

x axis extremes: From ##x=0## to ##x=\sqrt{23}##

z axis extremes: From ##z=0## to ##z=4-y##

y axis extremes: From ##y=\frac{x^2-23}{4}## to ##z=4-z##

But there is obviously something wrong with either the y or z extremes...

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla (504).png
    Captura de pantalla (504).png
    8.7 KB · Views: 645
The new order of integration is y, z, and finally, x, so it's best to list the limits on those three variables in that order. I have quoted what you wrote, but have rearranged the order in what I've quoted.
JD_PM said:
View attachment 239631
The sketch is something like this (slice perpendicular to x axis, as asked). This is what I visualise now
Nice drawing!
JD_PM said:
No. Look at your drawing. The y values at the ends of the triangle base run from a point on the parabola to the line y = 4 in the x-y plane. The volume element is a cube of size dy*dz*dx. If you visualize a stack of these cubes, the stack will taper down to 0 as the y values increase to 4.
JD_PM said:
Yes.
JD_PM said:
No, the x values run from 0 to the value at the point ##(\sqrt{39}, 4)##. Do you see why?

Last edited:
Likes BvU
Oh yeah so y-axis would be:

I do not see why you state those extremes for the x axis. I see how it goes from 0 to the parabola. Besides, you stated 3 values. Please explain your reasoning

JD_PM said:
Oh yeah so y-axis would be:

Yes.
JD_PM said:
I do not see why you state those extremes for the x axis. I see how it goes from 0 to the parabola. Besides, you stated 3 values. Please explain your reasoning
Look at the triangle you drew in your sketch. As the triangle sweeps across from the y-axis, the y values range as you said above, and the x values go from 0 to the point on the parabola at which y = 4. IOW. to the point ##(\sqrt{39}, 4)##.

JD_PM said:
View attachment 239631

But there is obviously something wrong with either the y or z extremes...

Your heavy black triangle is not perpendicular to the x-axis; it slants a bit towards the yz-plane.

Last edited:
Likes JD_PM
Mark44 said:
Yes.
Look at the triangle you drew in your sketch. As the triangle sweeps across from the y-axis, the y values range as you said above, and the x values go from 0 to the point on the parabola at which y = 4. IOW. to the point ##(\sqrt{39}, 4)##.

OK I've checked the answer:

$$\int_0^{\sqrt{39}}\int_0^{\frac{39-x^2}{4}}\int_{\frac{x^2-23}{4}}^{4-z} f(x,y,z) dydzdx$$

I understand the y-axis extremes.

Regarding z axis extremes; I get that its lower bound is ##z=0##. Its upper bound is the plane ##z=4-y## ; why is ##\frac{39-x^2}{4}## the correct upper bound then?

Regarding x-axis extremes. I have the same trouble dealing with the upper bound of x; why is ##\sqrt{39}## ?

JD_PM said:
Regarding z axis extremes; I get that its lower bound is ##z=0##. Its upper bound is the plane ##z=4-y## ; why is ##\frac{39-x^2}{4}## the correct upper bound then?
The equation of the plane is z = 4 - y. The 3-D surface that the parabolic cylinder represents intersects the plane in a curve. Every point on this curve in the z = 4 - y plane lies above the parabola in the x-y plane, so these points satisfy both z = 4 - y and y = (x2 - 23)/4. For the upper bound for the y integration, they have replaced y in the equation z = 4 - y, getting z = (39 - x2)/4.

JD_PM said:
Regarding x-axis extremes. I have the same trouble dealing with the upper bound of x; why is ##\sqrt{39}## ?
Again, look at the triangle you drew. These triangles start on the y-axis (with x = 0), and sweep out on the pos. x-axis to the point where the parabola crosses the line y = 4 in the x-y plane. What is the y-coordinate at that point?

Likes JD_PM
You get ##\sqrt{39}##, indeed. Thank you.

1. What is the purpose of changing the order of a triple integral?

The purpose of changing the order of a triple integral is to simplify the calculation process and make it more efficient. By rearranging the order of integration, it is possible to reduce the number of integrals and make the integrand function simpler.

2. How do you determine the new limits of integration when changing the order of a triple integral?

The new limits of integration can be determined by visualizing the region of integration and understanding the order of integration. The innermost integral will have the narrowest limits, followed by the middle integral, and then the outermost integral. The limits for each integral should correspond to the boundaries of the region in the given order of integration.

3. Can the order of a triple integral be changed for any given region of integration?

Yes, the order of a triple integral can be changed for any given region of integration. However, the resulting integral may be more complicated or impossible to evaluate if the order is not chosen carefully.

4. Are there any general rules for changing the order of a triple integral?

Yes, there are general rules for changing the order of a triple integral. The order of integration can be changed as long as the new limits of integration are consistent with the original region of integration and the integrand function remains the same.

5. How does changing the order of a triple integral affect the final result?

Changing the order of a triple integral does not affect the final result as long as the new limits of integration are consistent with the original region of integration. The value of the integral will remain the same regardless of the order of integration.