Wavelength of a laser exciting H atom from n =2 to n = 5

In summary, the "n" values in the context of excited states of an H atom represent the principal quantum number, indicating the energy level of an electron. A laser can excite an H atom from n = 2 to n = 5 by emitting a specific wavelength of light, and the energy difference between these levels is inversely proportional to the wavelength of the laser. Factors such as temperature and pressure can also affect the required wavelength. Scientists determine the wavelength of the laser experimentally using spectroscopy techniques.
Linus Pauling
1. A monochromatic laser is exciting hydrogen atoms from the n = 2 state to the n = 5 state. What is the wavelength of the laser?

2. frequency = f = delta E / h
lambda = c/f

3. First, is the following approach valid:

I find delta E by computing E5 - E2, where En = n2h2/8mL2

I then divide that answer by h to obtain f, then do c/f = lambda.

If that's a valid approach, then I am confused as to what I use for L in the En formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I got it.

1. What is the significance of the "n" values in the context of excited states of an H atom?

The "n" values represent the principal quantum number, which indicates the energy level or shell of an electron in an atom. Higher values of "n" correspond to higher energy levels and thus, higher excited states of the H atom.

2. How does a laser excite an H atom from n = 2 to n = 5?

A laser is a light source that emits a specific wavelength of light. When this light is directed at an H atom in its ground state (n = 1), the electrons can absorb the energy from the laser and jump to a higher energy level, in this case, n = 2. From there, the electrons can continue to absorb energy and move to higher levels until they reach n = 5.

3. What is the relationship between the wavelength of the laser and the energy difference between n = 2 and n = 5?

The energy difference between two energy levels in an atom is directly proportional to the frequency of the light required to excite the electron between those levels. This frequency is inversely proportional to the wavelength of the light. Therefore, a shorter wavelength laser would have a higher frequency and be able to excite the H atom from n = 2 to n = 5 more efficiently.

4. What other factors can affect the wavelength of the laser needed to excite the H atom?

The wavelength of the laser required to excite the H atom from n = 2 to n = 5 can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure. These factors can affect the energy levels of the electrons in the H atom, which in turn can change the energy difference between n = 2 and n = 5.

5. How is the wavelength of the laser determined experimentally?

In order to determine the wavelength of the laser needed to excite the H atom from n = 2 to n = 5, scientists can use a technique called spectroscopy. This involves passing the laser light through a prism or diffraction grating, which separates the different wavelengths of light. By measuring the angle at which the light is diffracted, scientists can determine the wavelength of the laser that is most effective in exciting the H atom to the desired energy level.