Residue of ArcTan: Is the Residue Theorem Applicable?

• Thread starter Pere Callahan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Residue
In summary, the speakers are discussing the applicability of the Residue Theorem to functions such as arctan and the natural logarithm, which are not holomorphic in a small disk around their singularities due to the presence of a cut plane. This means that the Laurent series cannot be used to define these functions, making them incompatible with the Residue Theorem. The speakers suggest consulting Complex Analysis textbooks for further clarification on this topic.
Pere Callahan
Hi Folks,

Does it make sense to speak of the residue of the arctan function at [tex]z=\pm i[/tex]?

Or the residue of the natural logarithm at z=0 ..?

The problem probably is that these functions are not holomorphic in however a small disk around the singularity...

So am I right in assuming that the Residue Theorem cannot be applied to such functions?

Maybe I should read up on this in my old Complex Analysis textbooks...:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about arctan off the top of my head, but about log, it doesn't. The reason being that Laurent series requires you to have an annulus around the point in which the function is holomorphic. To define log, you have to take a cut plane, so any annulus around 0 has the cut running through it, and hence log isn't holomorphic at that point

You are correct in your assumption that the Residue Theorem cannot be applied to functions that are not holomorphic in a small disk around the singularity. In order for the Residue Theorem to be applicable, the function must be holomorphic in the region of the contour and have isolated singularities within that region. Since the arctan function and the natural logarithm are not holomorphic in a small disk around their singularities, the Residue Theorem cannot be used in these cases.

However, it is still possible to calculate the residues of these functions using other methods, such as the Laurent series expansion. It is always a good idea to refer back to your Complex Analysis textbooks for a deeper understanding of these concepts.

FAQ: Residue of ArcTan: Is the Residue Theorem Applicable?

1. What is the Residue Theorem?

The Residue Theorem is a powerful tool in complex analysis that allows for the evaluation of certain types of integrals by using the residues of the function being integrated. It states that the integral of a function around a closed contour is equal to the sum of the residues of the function inside the contour.

2. How is the Residue Theorem used?

The Residue Theorem is typically used to evaluate integrals that are difficult to solve using traditional methods. It is especially useful for integrals involving trigonometric, logarithmic, or rational functions.

3. What is the Residue of ArcTan?

The Residue of ArcTan refers to the value of the complex function ArcTan(z) at its singularities, or poles. These singularities are located at z = ±i, and the residues at these points are ±π/2, respectively.

4. Is the Residue Theorem applicable to all functions?

No, the Residue Theorem is only applicable to functions that are analytic (have derivatives at all points) in the region of integration and have isolated singularities within the contour of integration.

5. How is the Residue Theorem related to the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Residue Theorem is a direct consequence of the Cauchy Integral Formula, which states that the value of a complex function at a point inside a contour is equal to the integral of the function over the contour divided by 2πi. The Residue Theorem is essentially an extension of this formula for functions with isolated singularities.