Calculating Integral Using Residue Theorem & Complex Variables

In summary, the residue theorem allows you to compute integrals by finding the residues at the poles and summing them. In this case, the integral is ##I_1 = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{d \phi}{(X-Y)^2}## where X and Y are complex variables. By using the substitution ##X = |\vec x|e^{i\phi}## and expanding the function in a Taylor series around X=0, we can identify the residues at this pole to be ##- \frac{1}{Y^2}##. To find the residue at the other pole, X=Y, we can rewrite ##1/X## as ##\frac{1}{Y
BOAS

Homework Statement

I have never formally studied complex analysis, but I am reading this paper: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1996MNRAS.283..837S

wherein section 2.2 they make use of the residue theorem. I am trying to follow along with this (and have looked up contour integration, cauchy's formula etc..).

I want to compute the integral

##I_1 = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{d \phi}{(X-Y)^2}## where X and Y are complex variables

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Using the substitution ##X = |\vec x|e^{i\phi}##, ##dX = i X d\phi## we can write this as

##I_1 = -\oint \frac{i dX}{X(X-Y)^2}## which has two poles, at X=0 and X=Y.

The residue theorem allows me to say that the result of this integral is ##2 \pi i## times the sum of the residues. I have been able to compute the residue by expanding at ##X=0## as follows:

##f(X) = - \frac{1}{X(X-Y)^2} = - \frac{1}{X}(\frac{1}{(X-Y)^2})##

I then taylor expand ##\frac{1}{(X-Y)^2}## around X=0 and find:

##f(X) = -\frac{1}{X}(\frac{1}{Y^2} + \frac{2X}{Y^3} + ...)##

and so by identifying the residue with the term proportional to ##\frac{1}{X}##, I see that the residue of the function expanded at that pole is ##- \frac{1}{Y^2}##

I am stuck with how to find the residue of the ##X=Y## expansion as it can't be done in the same way as above.

Thank you for any hints you can give!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Replace all the '$' with '##'. Then your post will become readable :)

Math_QED said:
Hint: Replace all the '$' with '##'. Then your post will become readable :)

woops - I had a latex plugin in my browser, so everything looked normal to me. Thanks for pointing it out.

(I have excluded physics forums from the plugin now)

Likes member 587159
BOAS said:
The residue theorem allows me to say that the result of this integral is ##2 \pi i## times the sum of the residues. I have been able to compute the residue by expanding at ##X=0## as follows:

##f(X) = - \frac{1}{X(X-Y)^2} = - \frac{1}{X}(\frac{1}{(X-Y)^2})##

I then taylor expand ##\frac{1}{(X-Y)^2}## around X=0 and find:

##f(X) = -\frac{1}{X}(\frac{1}{Y^2} + \frac{2X}{Y^3} + ...)##

and so by identifying the residue with the term proportional to ##\frac{1}{X}##, I see that the residue of the function expanded at that pole is ##- \frac{1}{Y^2}##

I am stuck with how to find the residue of the ##X=Y## expansion as it can't be done in the same way as above.

Thank you for any hints you can give!
You can do pretty much the same thing, expanding the ##1/X## part as a series in powers of ##(X-Y)##. Start by rewriting ##1/X## as follows:
$$\frac{1}{X} = \frac{1}{X-Y+Y} = \frac{1}{Y}\cdot\frac{1}{1+\frac{X-Y}{Y}}.$$ Now expand the second factor as a series.

Likes BOAS
vela said:
You can do pretty much the same thing, expanding the ##1/X## part as a series in powers of ##(X-Y)##. Start by rewriting ##1/X## as follows:
$$\frac{1}{X} = \frac{1}{X-Y+Y} = \frac{1}{Y}\cdot\frac{1}{1+\frac{X-Y}{Y}}.$$ Now expand the second factor as a series.

Thank you, I have managed to find that the second residue is indeed ##\frac{1}{Y^2}## with the help of your hint

1. What is the Residue Theorem and how is it used to calculate integrals?

The Residue Theorem is a powerful tool in complex analysis that allows us to calculate contour integrals by using the residues, or the values of a function at its singular points. It states that if a function is analytic inside a closed contour except for a finite number of singularities, then the integral of that function around the contour is equal to the sum of the residues at those singularities. This allows us to reduce a complex integral to a sum of simple residue calculations, making it easier to evaluate.

2. How do you find the residues of a function?

To find the residues of a function, we first need to identify the singular points of the function, which are the points where the function is undefined or has a pole. Then, we can use the Laurent series expansion of the function around each singular point to determine the coefficient of the (n-1)th term, where n is the order of the pole. This coefficient is the residue at that singular point.

3. Can the Residue Theorem be used for all integrals?

No, the Residue Theorem can only be used for integrals that can be evaluated using a closed contour. This means that the contour must enclose all of the singularities of the function and can be deformed into a simpler shape without crossing any singularities. If the contour cannot be closed or cannot be deformed without crossing singularities, then the Residue Theorem cannot be applied.

4. What are some common applications of the Residue Theorem?

The Residue Theorem has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. Some common applications include calculating real integrals that are difficult to evaluate using traditional methods, solving differential equations, and evaluating infinite sums and products. It is also used in signal processing, control theory, and statistics, among other fields.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when using the Residue Theorem?

Yes, there are some limitations and restrictions when using the Residue Theorem. One restriction is that the function must be analytic inside the contour. This means that the function must be differentiable at every point inside the contour and must not have any singularities on the contour itself. Additionally, the contour must be a simple closed curve, meaning it cannot intersect itself. Finally, the Residue Theorem may not always provide the most efficient method for calculating integrals, so it is important to consider other techniques as well.