Residue Theorem: Finding the Integral of z^3e^(-1/z^2) over |z|=5

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem using the residue theorem, but was not able to get the answer using only that method.
cragar

Homework Statement

use the residue theorem to find the value of the integral,
integral of [itex] z^3e^{\frac{-1}{z^2}} [/itex] over the contour |z|=5

The Attempt at a Solution

When I first look at this I see we have a pole at z=0 , because we can't divide by zero in the exponential term.
and a pole of order 2, So I multiply the function by the function that causes the singularity , and take the first derivative of that and evaluate it at z=0,
this give me [itex] 2pi*i[3z^2] [/itex] but this gives me 0,
my book says the answer should be i*pi , which I can find from the Laurent series , but I can't seem to get it using the residue theorem.

Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:

Homework Statement

use the residue theorem to find the value of the integral,
integral of [itex] z^3e^{\frac{-1}{z^2}} [/itex] over the contour |z|=5

The Attempt at a Solution

When I first look at this I see we have a pole at z=0 , because we can't divide by zero in the exponential term.
and a pole of order 2, So I multiply the function by the function that causes the singularity , and take the first derivative of that and evaluate it at z=0,
this give me [itex] 2pi*i[3z^2] [/itex] but this gives me 0,
I'm not sure that I understand. Are you directly calculating Res(f,0) = limz->0(z⋅f(z))?

so the exponential function, does not have a pole or a removable singularity, since it does not have a pole , I think I just have to expand it in a Laurent series to find the residue, I am trying to find the value of that integral over the circle |z|=5, and I am trying to use the residue theorem ,

cragar said:
so the exponential function, does not have a pole or a removable singularity, since it does not have a pole , I think I just have to expand it in a Laurent series to find the residue, I am trying to find the value of that integral over the circle |z|=5, and I am trying to use the residue theorem ,
I understand that you are trying to use the residue theorem, but what are the details of how you doing that? Are you directly calculating Res(f,0) = limz->0(z⋅f(z))? Or are you trying some other way to find the coefficient of the 1/z term of the Laurent series?

I expanded the exponential as a Laurent series , then I multiplied by z^3, and then found the 1/z term , other ways won't work because its not a pole ,

cragar said:
I expanded the exponential as a Laurent series , then I multiplied by z^3, and then found the 1/z term , other ways won't work because its not a pole ,
I'll buy that. It is an essential singularity.

thanks for helping me clear it up.

What is the residue of an integral?

The residue of an integral is a concept in complex analysis that refers to the value of the integral at a pole, which is a point where the function being integrated becomes undefined or infinite.

How is the residue of an integral calculated?

The residue of an integral can be calculated using the Residue Theorem, which states that the residue at a pole is equal to the coefficient of the term with the highest degree in the Laurent series expansion of the function being integrated.

Why is the residue of an integral important?

The residue of an integral is important because it helps to evaluate complex integrals that cannot be solved using traditional methods. It also plays a key role in the study of meromorphic functions and their properties.

Can the residue of an integral be negative?

Yes, the residue of an integral can be negative. The sign of the residue depends on the direction of integration and the order of the pole at which it is being calculated.

What are some applications of the residue of an integral?

The residue of an integral has various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to solve problems in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and statistical mechanics, as well as to evaluate complex line and contour integrals in mathematical analysis.