Do research chemists really make such little money?

In summary, a PhD in chemistry usually pays around $100,000 a year after 10 years, but it can be difficult to find work as a chemist without experience.
LogicX
I looked up the median income for a PhD research chemist and it was a paltry $66,000. I'm planning on going to grad school to get a PhD, and while I love chemistry and it really isn't about the money, $66,000 just seems reaaaalllly low for what you have to put into it. 7 years of education, you have to write a thesis, the material is really hard... and you make less than someone who becomes a manager at a medium sized retail store?

I'm working harder than anyone I know, and it's really paying off. I study for 6+ hours a day most days, and because of that I have the highest grade in most of my chemistry classes I've taken. But that is no guarantee of a good job, and my friend who is getting a degree in political science, studies for like 2 hours a week, and plans to just go try to get into management somewhere could end up making more than me?

I just always figured that a PhD in a science like chemistry would pretty much guarantee $100,000+/year. Hell, pharmacists only go for 6 years and don't have to write a thesis, and they start out making around 100k.

I love chemistry and I'm going to pursue it no matter what, but it would just be nice if I knew that all this hard work will pay off in the end. I don't want to have a PhD and be driving to work in a junker car and go home to a studio apartment every day (which, if I'm not married, seems likely on an annual income of $66,000).

I'm just a little disheartened right now. I don't want to be super rich, but honestly I thought that working this hard on material that not everyone could even grasp, for 7+ years would net me more than that... I'm sure some people make more, but damn that average really surprised me.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Where are you getting your data from? I think most chemists with PhDs would be banking about 100K after 10 years of experience or so.
http://www1.salary.com/Chemist-V-salary.html

Probably double that if you work for a pharmaceutical company.

What industry do you want to work in, or are you considering academic research? As far as academia goes, $66k still seems low. When I saw the published list of salaries of the profs at my university, they were earning, on average, >$80k.

If you work in the petroleum industry, you can earn *well* over $100k. They give guys with only 2 years of university chemistry $70k + 4-6 months vacation starting out.

However, it sounds like you're going to face the harsh reality of workplace politics when you get out of school. A Ph.D with no experience is a sad thing. What a higher-level degree does for you is raise any potential "ceilings" in your career. You may start out at a higher-level position or you may not; it depends entirely on the company, its hiring practices, its needs, and the current economic situation. Right now, you might find the job market frustrating. Because so many M.S.'s and Ph.D's, often WITH 3 years+ experience are out of work, employers can afford to be extremely choosey. They might hire a Ph.D to fill a position that would only require a B.S. pre-2008. That doesn't mean you won't need a Ph.D to get that job though--again, they're being choosey.

Ultimately though, you will find that your graduate degree will be worth it. It will open up more doors for you than you can imagine right now. You may not be bringing in $100k fresh out of grad school, but higher pay and much greater responsibilities will come a lot faster to you than to someone with just a B.S.

Don't compare with a so-called professional program such as pharmacy. These programs (like dentistry, law, medicine etc.) have a quota on the number of admitted students. This, much like a limited edition material product (such as a collectible), creates a scarcity which causes graduates to become "limited editions". This is what allows them to demand a higher salary than scientists who may study even longer (the economical principle of offer vs demand also applies to recent graduates!).

Of course, how (and whether) the quotas are justified is another issue, which is unfortunately not debated enough.

As a fellow scientist, I can understand your concerns about the salary of research chemists. It is true that the median income for a PhD research chemist may seem low compared to other professions, but it is important to consider the various factors that contribute to this number.

Firstly, the field of chemistry is highly competitive, and there is a large pool of talented individuals with PhDs vying for limited positions in research. This can drive down the salaries offered by companies and institutions. Additionally, the current economic climate and funding for scientific research also play a significant role in determining salaries.

Furthermore, the salary for a research chemist also depends on the specific industry or field they work in. For example, chemists working in the pharmaceutical industry may have higher salaries compared to those working in academia or government research institutions.

It is also important to remember that a career in research is not solely driven by monetary gain. Many scientists, including myself, are passionate about our work and find fulfillment in making new discoveries and contributing to the advancement of knowledge in our respective fields. The salary may not be the highest, but the intellectual and personal satisfaction that comes with it is invaluable.

That being said, there are ways to increase your earning potential as a research chemist. Pursuing additional education, such as a postdoctoral fellowship, can open up opportunities for higher-paying positions. Additionally, developing skills in areas such as project management, data analysis, and communication can also make you more marketable and increase your chances of obtaining a higher salary.

In conclusion, while the median income for research chemists may not be as high as some other professions, there are many factors to consider and opportunities to increase your earning potential. It is important to remember that a career in science is not just about the money, but about making meaningful contributions to society and pushing the boundaries of knowledge. So continue to follow your passion for chemistry and trust that your hard work and dedication will pay off in the end.

Related to Do research chemists really make such little money?

1. Why do research chemists make such little money?

There are a few factors that contribute to the relatively low salaries of research chemists. One reason is that there is often a surplus of qualified chemists compared to the number of available research positions. This can drive down the demand for chemists and therefore, their salaries. Additionally, research in the chemical industry can be expensive and unpredictable, making it difficult for companies to offer higher salaries to their chemists.

2. How does the salary of a research chemist compare to other fields in science?

In general, research chemists tend to make less money than their counterparts in other scientific fields such as biology or engineering. This is partly due to the fact that the chemical industry is highly competitive and there is often more funding available for other areas of research.

3. Can research chemists expect to earn higher salaries as they gain more experience?

While experience can certainly lead to higher salaries, it is not a guarantee for research chemists. As mentioned before, the number of available research positions and funding for chemical research can greatly impact the demand for chemists and their salaries. Additionally, some companies may have strict salary caps for their chemists, regardless of experience.

4. Are there any factors that can influence a research chemist's salary?

Yes, there are several factors that can influence a research chemist's salary. These include the type of employer (government, academic, or industry), the location of the job, the level of education and experience of the chemist, and the specific area of research being conducted.

5. Is it possible for research chemists to earn a higher salary by working in a different field?

It is possible for research chemists to earn a higher salary by working in a different field, such as pharmaceuticals or biotechnology. These industries often have more funding available for research and may offer higher salaries to chemists. However, it is important to note that switching fields may require additional education or training, and competition for positions may still be high.