HP50G Complex numbers with square roots

In summary, complex numbers with square roots are numbers with both a real and imaginary part, written in the form a + bi, and have a square root that is not a real number. The HP50G calculator can input and perform operations with these numbers using the "i" and "sqrt" keys, and can also convert them to polar form and simplify them using the "P" and "SIMP" keys.
jvkelley
Hi, I recently bought an HP50G, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to get numbers from the stack into a complex number. Could anyone help?

For example, for 1+2i, I know I'd enter it as (1,2). But when I have something like 6^0.5+2i, I don't want to type the numbers out.

Thanks

Edit: I'm using RPN mode. I've tried a few searches and haven't come up with anything.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I got it figured out. I needed to use HIST > ECHO to select an item from the stack.

Related to HP50G Complex numbers with square roots

1. What are complex numbers with square roots?

Complex numbers with square roots are numbers that have both a real and imaginary part, and have a square root that is not a real number. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i being the square root of -1.

2. How do I input complex numbers with square roots on the HP50G calculator?

To input a complex number with a square root on the HP50G calculator, use the "i" key to represent the imaginary unit and the "sqrt" key to represent the square root. For example, to input the complex number 2 + 3√5i, press 2 + 3i√5.

3. Can the HP50G calculator perform operations with complex numbers with square roots?

Yes, the HP50G calculator has a built-in complex number mode that allows for operations with complex numbers, including those with square roots. To access this mode, press the "CPLX" key and then use the "i" and "sqrt" keys to input the complex numbers.

4. How do I convert a complex number with a square root to polar form on the HP50G calculator?

To convert a complex number with a square root to polar form on the HP50G calculator, press the "CPLX" key and then use the "i" and "sqrt" keys to input the complex number. Next, press the "P" key to convert to polar form. The result will be displayed in the form r∠θ, where r is the magnitude and θ is the angle in radians.

5. Can the HP50G calculator simplify complex numbers with square roots?

Yes, the HP50G calculator has a "simplify" function that can simplify complex numbers with square roots. To use this function, input the complex number with the "i" and "sqrt" keys and then press the "SIMP" key. The calculator will simplify the square root if possible and display the result in its simplified form.