Ice skator throwing gloves to mvoe

• Thread starter JayHakimi1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary, the skater, who is initially at rest, throws her gloves of mass m in the direction opposite the safe side of the ice rink. By applying the Principle of Conservation of Momentum, we can calculate that the velocity of the girl, v-girl, is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the velocity of the gloves, v-gloves, given by the equation v-girl = -(m-glove*v-gloves)/m-girl.
JayHakimi1

Homework Statement

An amateur skater of mass M is trapped in the middle of an ice rink and is unable to return to the side where there is no ice. Every motion she makes causes her to slip on the ice and remain in the same spot. She decides to try to return to safety by throwing her gloves of mass m in the direction opposite the safe side.

If she does move, calculate her velocity v-girl relative to the Earth after she throws the gloves, otherwise enter 0. (Use the following as necessary: m, M, and v-gloves).

Homework Equations

change in momentum = final momentum - initial momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

using the equation above i got that

v→ girl = (m/M) v→gloves

(i tried to show that its a vector above.)

but the answer is wrong, any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the initial momentum?

its not given, you have to solve the velocity using variable. No number involved

Let us assume that the skater is initially at rest.
Then what is the initial momentum?

it would be zero

Correct.
Then what is the final momentum?

either 0 or M v girl

If the initial momentum was 0, what does the Principle of Conservation of Momentum tell us?

That the final momentum has to equal to zero?

Correct!
So the momentum of the girl must be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to that of the glove.

so it like thi

v girl = -(m glove* v glove)/m girl

right?

right.

but the website says that answer is wrong. IDK why tho

The Physics I know tells me that if the total initial momentum of system in a certain direction is zero then the final total momentum in that direction is zero also so long as there are no resultant forces on the system in that given direction.

So the momentum of the girl must be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to that of the glove.

1. How do ice skator throwing gloves work?

Ice skator throwing gloves use a special design and material to provide a better grip and control for throwing ice skates. The gloves have a textured surface and are often made of a durable and flexible material such as neoprene or silicone.

2. Are ice skator throwing gloves necessary?

While not required, many ice skaters choose to use throwing gloves to enhance their performance and reduce the risk of injury. The gloves can provide a better grip and protect the hands from the cold and sharp edges of the ice skates.

3. How do I choose the right size of ice skator throwing gloves?

The best way to choose the right size is to measure your hand circumference at the widest part, usually around the knuckles. Refer to the sizing chart provided by the manufacturer to determine the appropriate size for your hand.

4. Can ice skator throwing gloves be used for other activities?

While they are specifically designed for throwing ice skates, some people may also use them for other activities that require a good grip, such as weightlifting or gardening. However, it is not recommended to use them for activities that involve sharp objects or extreme temperatures.

5. How do I take care of my ice skator throwing gloves?

To prolong the lifespan of your throwing gloves, it is important to follow the care instructions provided by the manufacturer. In general, avoid exposing them to extreme temperatures, do not machine wash or dry, and store them in a cool and dry place when not in use.