How Do You Calculate Applied Force with Mass and Friction Coefficients?

In summary, the speaker is struggling to find the applied force in a problem involving mass, maximum value of static friction, and coefficient of static friction. They are asking for clarification on the question and mention having to fill in a chart through experiments. The conversation also reveals the use of a specific equation and the speaker's process for obtaining values for the chart. They also mention that the numbers in column E may be incorrect and should be calculated values based on the data in columns B and C.
summerchambers
I am having trouble finding the applied force when i have the mass , maximum value of static friction and coefficient of static friction µ.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 2.55.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 2.55.36 PM.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you quote the exact question from your homework or prac work? So we can understand what this is about.

There is none . I have to fill in the chart by preforming experiments

can you please help

summerchambers said:
There is none . I have to fill in the chart by preforming experiments
Where did the values in column E come from?

Did you measure the values in column D?

What is the equation this experiment is going to confirm?

it has to deal with Forces and Friction

i did the mass with 6 trials , each different amount in the masses

and to get the coefficient i used Fmax to find the coefficient. so i put Fmax / Fpress which for trial 1 was 1/ 9.8 because Fpress=mg=9.8m

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-31 at 4.05.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-31 at 4.05.12 PM.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 413
I don't think you have correctly explained where those figures in column E came from. You seem to have invented them. I believe each should be a calculated value for μ based on the data to its left.

The numbers in column C will be, I think, those in column B but each multiplied by 9.8

1. How do I calculate the applied force on an object?

To calculate the applied force on an object, you need to know the mass of the object and its acceleration. You can use the formula F=ma, where F represents the force, m represents the mass, and a represents the acceleration. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the formula to calculate the applied force.

2. What is the difference between applied force and net force?

Applied force refers to the force that is directly applied to an object, while net force is the sum of all forces acting on an object. In other words, applied force is just one component of the net force.

3. How does the direction of applied force affect an object?

The direction of applied force can affect an object in different ways depending on the direction of the net force. If the applied force is in the same direction as the net force, it will increase the speed of the object. If the applied force is in the opposite direction of the net force, it will slow down the object. And if the applied force is perpendicular to the net force, it will change the direction of the object's motion.

4. Can you give an example of an applied force in real life?

One example of an applied force in real life is pushing a shopping cart. When you push the cart, you are applying a force to move it in a certain direction.

5. How can I find the applied force if I know the work and displacement of an object?

To find the applied force if you know the work and displacement, you can use the formula F=W/d, where F represents the applied force, W represents the work done, and d represents the displacement. This formula is based on the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.