Non uniform surface charge density

In summary, a metallic disk with a non-uniform surface charge density is given by the expression σ=q|cosθ|*r. The value of q, in terms of Q and R, can be determined by using a double integral, but the exact value may not be available in the textbook.
amjad-sh
hello.
The problem is : A metallic horizontal disk of radius R has been charged on its top surface with a total charge Q such that its surface charge density is "non uniform" and governed by the expression σ=q|cosθ|*r where r and θ are the polar coordinates measured from the center O of the disk.
Determine in terms of Q and R the value of q.
I tried to solve it using double integral but it didn't work.
σ=dq/ds then dq=q|cosθ|*r*rdrdθ then ∫dq/q=0R 02∏|cosθ|dθr2dr.
If anybody can help thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
amjad-sh said:
hello.
The problem is : A metallic horizontal disk of radius R has been charged on its top surface with a total charge Q such that its surface charge density is "non uniform" and governed by the expression σ=q|cosθ|*r where r and θ are the polar coordinates measured from the center O of the disk.
Determine in terms of Q and R the value of q.
I tried to solve it using double integral but it didn't work.
σ=dq/ds then dq=q|cosθ|*r*rdrdθ then ∫dq/q=0R 02∏|cosθ|dθr2dr.
If anybody can help thanks.
I'm very rusty on this, but consider this ...

In σ=q|cosθ|*r I think that q is fixed, so instead call it a constant, say, C.
Leading to dq=C|cosθ|*r*rdrdθ then ∫dq=C 0R 02∏|cosθ|dθr2dr.

You are solving for that constant C. If your textbook supplies the correct answer, does this get you closer?

I think that leads to an answer,but the problem is that there is no answer in my textbook.
so I can't be sure about the answer.

1. What is non-uniform surface charge density?

Non-uniform surface charge density refers to the distribution of electric charge on a surface that is not uniform, meaning that the charge is not evenly distributed across the surface. This can be caused by various factors such as the shape, material, or external influences on the surface.

2. How is non-uniform surface charge density measured?

Non-uniform surface charge density is typically measured in units of charge per unit area, such as coulombs per square meter (C/m^2). This can be determined through various methods such as using an electric field meter or by calculating the electric potential at different points on the surface.

3. What are the effects of non-uniform surface charge density?

The effects of non-uniform surface charge density can vary depending on the specific situation, but generally, it can cause distortion of electric fields, leading to changes in the behavior of charged particles in the vicinity of the surface. It can also affect the overall electrical properties of the surface and any materials in contact with it.

4. How does non-uniform surface charge density differ from uniform surface charge density?

The main difference between non-uniform and uniform surface charge density is the distribution of charge. Uniform surface charge density means that the charge is evenly spread out across the entire surface, while non-uniform surface charge density means that the charge is concentrated in certain areas or has varying intensity across the surface.

5. What are some real-world applications of non-uniform surface charge density?

Non-uniform surface charge density is a crucial concept in many areas of science and technology, including electrochemistry, material science, and electronics. It is also important in understanding the behavior of natural phenomena such as lightning strikes and the formation of thunderclouds. Additionally, it plays a role in the development of advanced technologies such as touchscreens and microelectronic devices.