Someone moving near c to an observer?

• Thread starter DuckSoup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Observer
In summary, if Bob were to travel to the moon and back at near the speed of light, it would seem like only seconds to him but centuries could easily have passed on Earth once he comes back to a stop. This is because time dilation occurs at high speeds. If Bob were to launch to the moon at near light speed, to an observer on Earth, it would seem like he is in suspended animation. However, once he returns to Earth, he would only be a few seconds younger than when he left. This is because the majority of the trip would be seen in slow motion, causing his age to progress very little. Also, the Twin Paradox states that the traveling twin would come back younger.
DuckSoup
I think i understand that if my friend, let's call him bob - were to travel to the moon and back at near the speed of light, when he got back, it would seem like only seconds to him but centuries could easily have passed on Earth once he comes back to a stop.

my question is - if bob launched in his near-light-speed ship to the moon, after he waved goodbye out the window and pressed the 'launch' button, what would 'I' see him doing? since his time has slowed down, would he look like he was in suspended animation to me? if so, would i be able to anything to his ship to alter it's course?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since it only takes seconds for light to get to the moon and back, the most that bob could be younger than the rest of us on Earth would be just seconds, not centuries. He'd have to go to a place that was light-centuries away in order to return to an Earth that was centuries older than when he left.

When you watch an object moving rapidly away from you, you would "see" it in slow motion and you would continue to "see" it moving away from you even after it turned around and started back home. When you finally "see" it turn around, it will be almost all the way back home at which point you will "see" it in fast motion for a very short time. Since you "see" it in slow motion for the fast majority of the trip, its age has progressed very little while yours has progressed a lot.

NOTE: the reason why I put "see" in quotes is because the wavelengths of light for fast moving ojects will shift them to invisible colors, so you would need some special telescopes that could see these wavelengths and render them in a region that you could see, kind of light night-vision goggles that are sensitive to infra-red.

thanks - i guess I'm still missing something then? i thought that if bob travels at really close to the speed of light, say .9999995c then his time could slow-down by close to 1000x (according to the calculator at http://www.1728.org/reltivty.htm) . so maybe we're not talking years, but something close to an hour(?)

DuckSoup said:
thanks - i guess I'm still missing something then? i thought that if bob travels at really close to the speed of light, say .9999995c then his time could slow-down by close to 1000x (according to the calculator at http://www.1728.org/reltivty.htm) . so maybe we're not talking years, but something close to an hour(?)

And how is that not consistent with what ghwellsjr said? If you choose a speed such that the dilation factor is 1000, then for you it will seem like the trip took several seconds and for him it will seem like the trip took several seconds divided by 1000.

ah ok. i guess i had it backwards then, as i thought his perspective would be several seconds multiplied, not divided, by 1000. thanks

DuckSoup said:
ah ok. i guess i had it backwards then, as i thought his perspective would be several seconds multiplied, not divided, by 1000. thanks

Just remember, in the Twin Paradox, the traveling twin comes back younger.

What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the wave source.

How does the Doppler effect apply to someone moving near c to an observer?

The Doppler effect is observed when the source of the wave, in this case the person, is moving at a speed that is a significant fraction of the speed of light (c). This causes a shift in the frequency and wavelength of the wave, which can be perceived by the observer.

What happens to the frequency of the wave as the person moves closer to the observer?

If the person is moving towards the observer, the frequency of the wave will increase. This is known as a "blue shift" because the wavelength of the wave will appear shorter, resembling the color blue.

What happens to the frequency of the wave as the person moves away from the observer?

If the person is moving away from the observer, the frequency of the wave will decrease. This is known as a "red shift" because the wavelength of the wave will appear longer, resembling the color red.

How does the speed of the person affect the magnitude of the Doppler effect?

The greater the speed of the person, the greater the magnitude of the Doppler effect. This means that the frequency and wavelength shift will be more noticeable to the observer if the person is moving at a higher speed.