Solving Circuit Problems: Find i_1 and i_2

• Thread starter Rozenwyn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses solving for unknown currents (i1 and i2) in a circuit with two nodes. Equations are provided for both nodes and the correct answers are confirmed to be i1 = -2A and i2 = 2A. A point is made about the direction of current flow and the assumption that potential is higher on the left than the right.
Rozenwyn
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/8136/423ky7.jpg

I have trouble getting the correct answers.

I tried:
At node V1 [tex]\ i_1 + \frac{v_2-v_1}{5} = \frac{v_1}{20} \ \longrightarrow[/tex] Solve for [tex]i_1[/tex]
ok let's try.
[tex] i_1 + \frac{15-4}{5} = \frac{4}{20}[/tex]
[tex] i_1 = \frac{1}{5} - \frac{11}{5} [/tex]
[tex] i_1 = \frac{-10}{5} = -2A[/tex]

@Cornea: Indeed, the equations seem to be correct. *bangs head to the table.* Can't believe a sign error could waste 2 hrs of my life. Hmmm, need more sleep ... more sleep.

Then;

Ar node V2 [tex]\ \frac{v_2-v_1}{5} + \frac{v_2-v_3}{15} = i_2 \ \longrightarrow[/tex] Solve for [tex]i_2[/tex]

When I solve for [tex]i_1, \ i_2[/tex] I get wrong answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check you math. Your equations are correct.

From your own equations:

i1 = v1/20 + v1/5 - v2/5 = 4/20 + 4/5 - 15/5 = 1/5 + 4/5 -4 = 1 -3 = -2

i2 = 15/5 - 4/5 + 15/15 - 18/15 = 3 - 12/15 + 1 - 18/15 = 4 - 2 = 2

There are two easy nodes that I used for the question.
First, the node on the top left conner below -2A,I got:
i_1=(v_1-v_2)/5+(v_1-0/20), assuming the -2A flowing into the node while the other two flowing out of the node.There's a point to note .When we assume the current flowing from the left to the right, we are using the concept that the potential on the left is higher than that on the right .(referring to the definition of convectional voltage)
Same thing with equation two, where I utilize the button node in the middle . The 2A is flowing out while two other currents are flowing into the node, i_2=(v_1-0/20)+(v_3-0/10)

Solve above two equations, I got i_1=-2A and i_2=2A---#

I would suggest double checking your calculations and equations to ensure there are no errors. It's also important to check for any sign errors, as they can greatly affect the final answer. If you're still having trouble, I would recommend seeking help from a colleague or consulting a textbook or online resource for additional guidance on solving circuit problems. It's important to approach these problems methodically and carefully to ensure accuracy in your solutions.

1. What is the purpose of solving circuit problems?

Solving circuit problems allows us to accurately determine the flow of current and voltage in a circuit, which is essential for designing and troubleshooting electrical systems.

2. How do you find i_1 and i_2 in circuit problems?

The most common method is to use Kirchoff's Laws, specifically Kirchoff's Current Law and Kirchoff's Voltage Law. These laws allow us to set up equations and solve for the unknown currents in the circuit.

3. Can circuit problems be solved without using mathematical equations?

Yes, there are also graphical methods such as the nodal and mesh analysis that can be used to solve circuit problems without using mathematical equations. However, these methods are more complex and require a deeper understanding of circuit theory.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving circuit problems?

One common mistake is to forget to take into account the direction of current flow. It is important to assign a direction to the current and voltage in the circuit and to consistently use that direction throughout the problem. Another mistake is to forget to consider the units when calculating values.

5. Can circuit problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, depending on the complexity of the circuit, there can be multiple solutions. It is important to check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the given parameters and laws of circuit theory. In some cases, there may be an infinite number of solutions, which may require additional information to determine the specific solution.