Mcnp error the new source has overrun the old source

In summary, the conversation discusses an error in MCNP related to source histories per cycle on the KCODE card. The error appears when 5000 source histories are set, but disappears when the number is reduced to 1000. One potential solution suggested is to increase the fifth entry in the KCODE card to account for the number of particles. The cause of the error is still unclear and may require further investigation.
gsyou
mcnp error "the new source has overrun the old source"

I am a beginner with MCNP. This error really confused me. Who knows what this error means? Thank you.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
And the error is really tricky. When I set 5000 source histories per cycle on KCODE card, the error appeared every time at source particle no. 5688, and only one inactive cycle has run. But when I set 1000 source histories per cycle, the error disappeared, and MCNP seems run well. This really makes me confused. Does it imply any error in my input file?

gsyou said:
And the error is really tricky. When I set 5000 source histories per cycle on KCODE card, the error appeared every time at source particle no. 5688, and only one inactive cycle has run. But when I set 1000 source histories per cycle, the error disappeared, and MCNP seems run well. This really makes me confused. Does it imply any error in my input file?
dear, you just put a fifth entry in kcode. if your number of particles is 5000, then put 5000*2 = 10000 or 15000 as fifth entry in your kcode. then see how it works...

Related to Mcnp error the new source has overrun the old source

What does the error "Mcnp error - the new source has overrun the old source" mean?

This error means that the new source you have entered into the Monte Carlo N-Particle (MCNP) code is larger than the previous source, which can cause issues with the simulation and lead to inaccurate results.

Why does the MCNP code give this error?

This error occurs because the MCNP code has a limit on the size of the source that can be used in the simulation. If the new source is larger than this limit, the code will give the "overrun" error.

How can I fix this error?

To fix this error, you will need to reduce the size of the source that you are trying to use in the MCNP simulation. This can be done by adjusting the parameters of the source, such as its size, shape, or intensity.

Can this error affect the accuracy of my results?

Yes, this error can significantly impact the accuracy of your results. If the source is too large, it can cause the simulation to behave differently than it would with a smaller source, leading to incorrect results.

Is there a way to prevent this error from occurring?

Yes, there are a few ways to prevent this error from occurring. One way is to carefully control and monitor the size of the source you are using in the simulation. Additionally, you can also check the MCNP code's documentation for the specific limits on source size to ensure that your source falls within those limits.