Double Slit: Find Longest Wavelength

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the longest wavelength of light that can create a first-order maximum on double slits separated by 1200nm. The formula used is sin(theta) = m(wavelength)/d, but the value of theta is unknown. It is then clarified that -pi/2 < theta < pi/2 and this information is used to solve the equation and get the answer of 12nm. However, the book's answer of 12nm is incorrect as it is missing zeros. The conversation also mentions that the biggest possible wavelength that can be created is slightly under the width between the two slits.
SwAnK
Question: Calculate the longest wavelength of light falling on double slits separated by 1200nm for which there is a first-order maximum. In what part of the spectrum is the light?

Answer in Book: 12nm

my problem: the formula i thought you would use is sin(theta) = m(wavelength)/d?? However you do not know an angle? any ideas??

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course [tex]-\frac{\pi}{2} < \theta < \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]. Can you solve it now?

yeah i get what that means and that theta could not be greater then 90 or less then -90, so then how do i incorperate that into the equation? and get 12 nm?:confused:

Plugging theta in would give

[tex]\lambda _{max} \approx d[/tex]

Which according to your book is wrong. I'm stunned. I suppose the answer in the book is wrong: they've forgotten the zeros.

so the biggest possible wavelength that could be created would be slightly under the width between the two slits?? and thanks a lot for your help:smile:

What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

What is the longest wavelength in the double slit experiment?

The longest wavelength in the double slit experiment is the one that produces the largest distance between the interference bands on the screen. This is known as the "longest wavelength" or the "maximum wavelength."

How do you find the longest wavelength in the double slit experiment?

To find the longest wavelength in the double slit experiment, you need to measure the distance between the interference bands on the screen and use the formula: λ = d * sin(θ), where λ is the wavelength, d is the distance between the slits, and θ is the angle between the central bright spot and the first order bright spot.

What is the significance of finding the longest wavelength in the double slit experiment?

The longest wavelength in the double slit experiment is significant because it helps us understand the wave-like nature of light and how it behaves when passing through two slits. It also has practical applications in fields such as optics and telecommunications.

Can the longest wavelength in the double slit experiment be longer than the visible light spectrum?

Yes, the longest wavelength in the double slit experiment can be longer than the visible light spectrum. In fact, the experiment can be performed with any type of electromagnetic radiation, including radio waves and microwaves, which have much longer wavelengths than visible light.