What are the possible solutions for the TISE in the infinite square well model?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the TISE for the infinite square well model, where the potential is zero for |x| =< a and infinite otherwise. The problem arises when trying to find non-trivial solutions for cases where E < 0 or E = 0, as the energy of the particle can never be lower than the minimum potential energy. The only case that allows for non-trivial solutions is when E > 0.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

As part of my homework, I am solving the TISE for the infinite square well model.

The potential is zero for |x| =< a and infinite otherwise.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For |x| >= a, the wavefunction is zero.

For |x| =< a, there are three possible cases:
1. E > 0
2. E = 0
3. E < 0

for the following TISE:

[tex]\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}} + \frac{2mE}{hcross^{2}}u = 0[/tex].

For E > 0, the solutions are sinusoidal.

For E = 0, u = A + Bx.

For E < 0, the solutions are exponentials.

The problem is the only solution is sinusoidal. What have I done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is that a problem?

failexam said:
For |x| >= a, the wavefunction is zero.

For |x| =< a, there are three possible cases:
1. E > 0
2. E = 0
3. E < 0

The energy of the particle can never be lower than the minimum potential energy. In other words, E+V_min > 0 for every stationary state. That's why you can exclude cases 2 and 3.

ideasrule said:
The energy of the particle can never be lower than the minimum potential energy. In other words, E+V_min > 0 for every stationary state.

Or did you mean E - V_min > 0 for every stationary state?

I am wondering why the energy of the particle can never be lower than the minimum potential energy.

Please help me out!

Try satisfying the boundary conditions in the second and third cases. You'll find you can't except when the wave function vanishes. Only the first case allows non-trivial solutions.

1. What is the infinite square well?

The infinite square well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined to a one-dimensional region with infinite potential barriers on either side.

2. How does the infinite square well differ from a finite square well?

In the infinite square well, the potential energy inside the well is constant and the particle is completely confined within the well. In a finite square well, the potential energy inside the well is not constant and the particle can potentially escape from the well.

3. What is the significance of the infinite square well in quantum mechanics?

The infinite square well serves as a simple and solvable model for understanding the behavior of particles in confined systems. It also helps to illustrate important concepts such as quantization of energy levels and wave-particle duality.

4. How is the energy of a particle in the infinite square well determined?

The energy of a particle in the infinite square well is determined by the quantum number, which is a positive integer representing the different energy levels of the particle. The energy levels are given by En = (n2π2h2)/(2mL2), where n is the quantum number, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and L is the length of the well.

5. What are some real-life examples that can be modeled using the infinite square well?

The infinite square well can be used to model various physical systems, such as a particle trapped in an optical lattice, an electron in a quantum dot, or a vibrating string on a guitar. It can also be applied to analyze the behavior of atoms in a crystal lattice or the motion of electrons in a potential well created by a scanning tunneling microscope.