Grad options aside from physics?

In summary, there are numerous options available for those with a bachelor's degree in physics seeking to pursue graduate studies outside of traditional master's or PhD programs in physics. Some popular choices among physics undergraduates include a master's in education, medical physics, neuroscience, and computer science. However, any STEM master's program may be a viable option, depending on the individual's background and qualifications. Other potential fields of study for physics graduates include engineering, economics, computational neuroscience, bioinformatics, quantitative finance, and geophysics/seismology. Additionally, a physics degree can also lead to law school or other graduate programs with some additional coursework. Ultimately, the possibilities are varied and depend on an individual's interests and qualifications.
Cathmore
What other options does one have for grad school with a bachelors in physics outside of doing a masters/PHD in physics? Law school and med school are technically possible I suppose, but what other grad degrees could a physics degree lead to?

Physics news on Phys.org
The most popular masters among my undergrad classmates was a masters in education. I think the second most popular was medical physics (which is different from traditional "med school"). Some other ones I can recall were neuroscience and computer science.

You options are pretty open and depend more on what you have done and how you have distinguished yourself than just your physics BS degree.

Any masters program that is willing to take your money. More practically, any STEM MS makes sense: optics, a myriad of engineering subdisciplines and/or computer science, but these last two may require some additional ground work on your part if your background in electronics or programming is not up to par with the students that traditionally go into them.

I am currently considering medical physics as my number one option, but it's always good to know there are other things out there. I've also considered doing engineering or economics. I guess I'll have to look into some programs and schools outside of medical physics and see what schools would also potentially accept me into such things.

Computational neuroscience, bionformatics, quantitative finance to name a few.

Geophysics/seismology

Cathmore said:
What other options does one have for grad school with a bachelors in physics outside of doing a masters/PHD in physics? Law school and med school are technically possible I suppose, but what other grad degrees could a physics degree lead to?

Physics majors tend to be at the higher range of scores for the MCAT (only behind BioMedical Engineers), need to check those stats though. Physics can definitely lead to law school (a friend of mine did this, he wanted to go into politics for science advocacy as far as I understand). A physics bachelors can lead to engineering or computer science masters programs with some coursework bringing you up to the speed of the engineering/CS undergrads (though a physics background makes you better qualified than them for certain kinds of engineering). As has been mentioned certain fields of biology and finance would work too.

1. What other fields can I pursue with a degree in physics?

Physics is a fundamental science that can open up opportunities in a variety of fields such as engineering, computer science, medicine, and finance. With a strong foundation in physics, you can also pursue graduate studies in areas like biophysics, materials science, and astronomy.

2. How can I use my physics degree to transition into a different industry?

A physics degree equips you with valuable skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis, which are applicable in many industries. You can highlight these skills in your resume and cover letter, and also consider gaining experience through internships or networking events in your desired industry.

3. Are there graduate programs specifically for physics-related fields?

Yes, many universities offer graduate programs specifically tailored for physics-related fields such as astrophysics, geophysics, and medical physics. These programs provide specialized coursework and research opportunities in your chosen field of interest.

4. Can I pursue a graduate degree in a different field without a physics background?

While a background in physics can be beneficial, it is not always a requirement for pursuing a graduate degree in a different field. Many programs have prerequisites or offer foundational courses to help students without a physics background catch up. However, it is important to do thorough research and speak with an advisor to ensure you meet the necessary requirements for your desired program.

5. What career options are available with a graduate degree in physics?

A graduate degree in physics can lead to a variety of career paths, including research and development in academia or industry, teaching at the high school or college level, and science communication. It can also open up opportunities in fields like data science, renewable energy, and aerospace engineering.